You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a 2017 MBP with 16mb of memory running Mojave. I run Pixelmator Pro with no speed issues at all and as I make adjustments through effects in realtime the flow is seamless. 

I have installed Affinity Photo as a trial and when trying to use Live Filters on a picture with just a single layer the MBP's fan comes on and the adjustments lag and the screen updates in blocks. I love this software but there is no way I can keep using it if this is how it performs on a MBP.

I have checked the performance settings as per the other threads and the adjustments have only slowed it down more. I tried to install the beta but as I am running a trial now I do not have a valid licence key. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the demo with no change.

My OS has recently been reinstalled so I don't believe this is an issue with my less than 1 year old MBP so before I purchase this app and find it to be unusable are the good folk at Affinity able to offer any insights into the speed and fan issue I'm experiencing?

• Staff

Hi trevandcal,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, when using a Live Filter it's not entirely unnatural for your fan to spin in your MBP, however the lagging and display update issues certainly don't sound correct.

Could you please provide a screenshot of your Performance preferences within the app, and your Activity Monitor with Affinity Photo running?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Good idea to reference the file type(s)+size you are trying to work with.

Software of this type do not always work well with all Raw files for instance.

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

7 hours ago, >|< said:

Sounds like the typical behaviour of AP when several live filters are in a document.

Can you attach a document so we know exactly what settings are used in the live filters?
The document can be an exact duplicate of your problem document, but with the base image layer deleted, and then we can test it with any substitute image.

Only Live filter being used with Depth of Field and as the setting are adjusted or the centre point moved the CPU usage and fan arcs up and the screen updates in large blocks.

This seems to be an issue with most of the Live Filters even when they are the only thing applied but is most noticeable with the Blur Filters to the point of not being able to use them for fine adjustment because of the time to render and blocky pixelated updates. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reposting:

Only Live filter being used with Depth of Field and as the setting are adjusted or the centre point moved the CPU usage and fan arcs up and the screen updates in large blocks.

This seems to be an issue with most of the Live Filters even when they are the only thing applied but is most noticeable with the Blur Filters to the point of not being able to use them for fine adjustment because of the time to render and blocky pixelated updates. 

• Staff

Could you please provide your file as requested so we can look into this for you?
Also, in your screenshot provided your file details are for a Pixelmator Pro Document, is this simply your default app for opening image types? Or has the incorrect file screenshot been provided please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Another test on my 11year old mac pro, also no problems here.

changing the settings are fast and without lags or screen update blocks.

testet on:

• mojave 10.14.1
  • mac pro 3.1 (early 2008)
  • 2x xeon quad core cpus (2.8 ghz)
  • 22 gb ram
  • nvidia gtx 680

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-03 um 09.16.13.png

have you tried to switch the display setting to Metal?