You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save Location

Why can't AP automatically save to the location from where the file was open?

Can you at least create an option in preferences so that it can be changed?

The current feature/bug is to save the file to the last saved location.

If I have more than one file open at a time and I want to save them, I have to find the right location for each save each time.

consider the following real scenario I find myself in frequently

/path/to/dir1/file1 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir2/file2 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir3/file3 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir4/file4 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

/path/to/dir5/file5 -> drag open to affinity photo using a mouse

If I save file 1  file -> "save as" or file -> save  then find the right location for file1, then go to file 2 and save I then have to find the right location for that file2.

It works the same for every file 1-5.  This workflow is so time consuming I just can't stand using AP

The same time consuming workflow happens if I use    file -> export

Perhaps there is something wrong in my workflow.  Maybe a video explaining how to save would help me.

Please fix this bug.

scenario #2 - using Capture One

I typically take photos using capture one.  This is my preferred pre-editor. 

I will often have to blend 4-5 images together.  In the CO12 software I will generate a tif or psd and then send it to another editor.

When I do this, when I select   file -> "save as" or "save" the same thing happens.  The directory of the last file saved will come up.

/path/to/CO/session1/Capture/image1

/path/to/CO/session2/Capture/image2

So I am working on image1 in CO, then generate a tif which opens AP

Do a bunch of edits, then go to save.  file -> "save as"

the last directory where I saved /path/to/dir1/  comes up as the directory to save.

At this point, I then have to figure out where my image1 was generated and go to /path/to/CO/session1/Output and save it there.

Then I am in CO again working on image2.  I generate a tif and it gets sent to AP. 

Do another bunch of edits, then save.  file -> "save as"

the last directory /path/to/CO/session1/Output

I have to figure out where image2 was generated and go to /path/to/CO/session2/Output

On and on it goes.

In scenario #2 AP should know to save the file image1 in .../session1/Output

also image2 should know to go in .../session2/Output

and any other file that is generated from CO that is send to AP.

9 hours ago, tiguanis said:

The current feature/bug is to save the file to the last saved location.

This is the standard OS feature (at least at Win) that it remembers the last used directory. This is definitely not a bug.

But it could be "required" for Affinity to remember the location of the original file, and use this path when saving it.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have that wish too. I work z. B. with XnView as image viewer. There I would like to edit a picture and choose "Open with Affinity Photo". After editing, I export the photo and I would like to have the same folder to save from which I have selected the image. Instead, I get the last folder I've ever used as the location.

Diesen Wunsch habe ich auch. Ich arbeite z. B. mit XnView als Bildbetrachter. Dort möchte ich ein Bild bearbeiten und wähle "Öffnen mit Affinity Photo". Nach der Bearbeitung exportiere ich das Foto und da hätte ich gerne denselben Ordner zum Speichern angeboten, aus dem ich das Bild ausgewählt habe. Statt dessen bekomme ich den letzten Ordner, den ich irgendwann verwendet habe, als Speicherort.

Gruß
Guzzi

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

• 1 year later...

I'd like to second this request!

I'm on a Mac, Affinity updated to 1.8.4, and – as many people I guess – I come from Adobe CC. On any Adobe program, when I open a file, modify it, then do a "save as" it will present me with a save dialog already in the folder where the opened file was last saved.

To make an example. If I open a file in the folder "/FILES/PROJECT1", then when doing a "save as", the dialog will be in that very direction i.e. "/FILES/PROJECT1".

The way Affinity handles it is that it will present me with a save dialog which is in the last used location. 99.999% of the time, that is not what I need or want. Actually, this is a major annoyance, because I'm so used to the way Adobe (but also most other pro software I use) handles it that I will often save into a random location without noticing and then have to hunt down the file when I later try to reopen it.

I honestly don't know why anybody would want it to act this way, but I'd be fine with having an option in the preferences where I can choose how this should work.

(sigh)

...and again: not an editing-feature-request but again a usability-issue.

Will Serif ever address all those issues?
I still hope that the usability-improvements will come in Version 2.0 since all those changes and improvements requested here, will cause changes to the User-Interface.

• 3 years later...

Es wäre sehr gut und hilfreich, wenn der Speicherort einer bereits geöffneten Affinity-Datei auch beim Speichern den Ordner beibehält und anzeigt. Ansonsten verliert Man beim Arbeiten Zeit. Auf Dauer ist es nicht Produktiv. Andere Software kann das schon längst. Ich hoffe, dass Affinity in den nächsten Update diese Option ermöglicht. Oder  kann man das irgendwo einstellen, dass der Speicherort beibehalten wird?

• 4 weeks later...

Is strongly support the idea to let the "Save as..." dialogue start in the directory where the original image was opened from (if any). In case there are users preferring the current (but imho very inconvenient) behaviour, this could be resolved by adding an option to the settings dialogue in order to switch behaviours.