Singapored

iPad update data loss

After updating to ios 12, I lost a significant amount of work. I had been working on a major commission piece. Saved it multiple times by closing the app. After updating to ios12, I find the latest version of that file is at least three days out of date. Multiple versions out of date. May not sound much, but it represents a huge investment in time on my part. Don’t know if this is an iOS bug, or related to affinity  either way, I Will move operations to a different app until I am more confident of data security. 

Hi @Singapored,

If you have not modified that file, open the Files app and Get info, and see when it was last modified. It's highly unlikely we would revert to a previous version, purely because we would not have that information. We do not keep any delta files. So, unless you saved with history, there is no way you can revert back to a previous version. Are you definitely sure you have saved the file? Perhaps during the update, some files got restored from your cloud to a previous date? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Well... I closed the file. Following this I started a new document, using the camera to acquire an image. Surely closing a document and staring another would have saved that document. By the way... that new document I started is completely missing. No trace of it at all.

The whole effect is as if my file collection was returned to a state three days old. This is confirmed by the history state. 

7 hours ago, Singapored said:

Surely closing a document and staring another would have saved that document. 

Closing a document saves the changes to the apps 'sandbox' only. If the app is removed so is your file. If there is some sort of 'glitch' with the app your file may be damaged or lost, with no replacement available. To really 'save' you need to tap the 3bars at the bottom right of the file in the project screen and choose 'Save'. That way you will have a copy of the file you can access with Files and move/copy/backup wherever you like.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

So... it looks as if the system update convinced Af that it was in a fresh install situation. Or something. 

To really 'save' you need to tap the 3bars at the bottom right of the file in the project screen and choose 'Save'. That way you will have a copy of the file you can access with Files and move/copy/backup wherever you like.

‘Save’ and ‘really save’? This is news to me. I shall have to start adjusting my workflow accordingly. 

Oh bless! It’s happened again! This time I lost about an hours work. I had Chrome and AP open... was working on AP, moved to chrome for around ten minutes, and when I moved back, my work was gone. Affinity must have crashed. Or something. Sure, I saved as suggested. But am I really obliged to do this every time I move away from the app? 

I’m on an iPad Pro, with fully updated everything. I’m getting to know AP, and enjoying the way it works. But this is a bummer. 

I'm pretty sure that IOS reallocates memory on a 'needs' basis. It’s possible that IOS has reassigned ram while AP was in background mode causing your changes (held in ram only) to be lost to AP.

If you use the back arrow (top left), work held in ram will be saved to AP sandbox.

Of course, I could be wrong and this may be a 'bug' of some sort.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Check to see what your auto save interval is set too, see below. As DM1 stated, the home screen should NEVER be though of as a safe place to store files, it’s just a temporary sandbox. Always name your work and save to another location, preferably a cloud location such as iCloud files when you have reached significant points in your design.

C288BDBB-CAA8-410A-B0FC-E1DFF64CDC2B.jpeg

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 and Designer 1.6.1 on MAC Mojave 10.4 Beta, Affinity Photo 1.6.12.86 and Designer 1.6.4.45 on iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 12.3 beta, Affinity Photo 1.6.4 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/