You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D ability to compete with Photoshop!

To compete with Photoshop 3d is a must add on!  It was a huge add on and game changer for Adobe so it would be hard to compete with them without it.  There is a huge market for it and being able to create an abstract 3d extrusion for example would be great.  Do a YouTube search for "3d extrusion in Photoshop by Corey Baker" and if Affinity can't do things like that then it's going to be hard to attract a lot of users.  You would also take a lot of business away from Adobe because people don't like subscription plans but have no choice if they want 3d.

I can understand if you would like to have 3D in Affinity Photo, but it "needs" it to compete with Photoshop? I really don't think so. There are other programs that handle 3D texturing and modelling a lot better than Photoshop (including the example given in your post), and the feature is honestly a typical example of feature bloat from Adobe's end (it is a very underdeveloped tool compared to other 3D programs). No serious 3D modeller nowadays is going to use mainly Photoshop to paint their models or create stuff like text with 3D effects on it simply because it lacks a lot of essential features to handle things like PBR (physically based rendering), among others.

If you want to use 3D in your work you can check out actual 3D programs like Maya, ZBrush, and a bunch of other alternatives that are specialized at handling 3D. Heck, I would strongly recommend picking up Blender, which is a free 3D program that is currently developing 2D animation tools in a 3D environment as a part of its latest beta build, which can greatly compliment any image editing program. If Affinity wants to get into the 3D business, they should honestly be focusing on getting better addon support by other 3D softwares like ZBrush by making it easier to export UV maps directly into AP like how it is with Photoshop for some final texture editing, and/or make a new brand of software focusing on 3D like Substance Painter.

Thanks for the heads up!  I found a program called 3DCoat which is made specifically for modeling and rendering very realistic textures and the price is not bad.  However it doesn't have animation ability so I would have to buy a separate program that can animate the things I create.  I'll check out Blender, thanks!