You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would you go about making this photo?. I knew what wanted and eventually did it; but it took awhile so there must be an easier way .
How would you do similar?

Cheers -- pelicans BTW ; heading off to where there was some big rains recently -- how do they know it rained a 1000 ++ kms away is the question no one can really answer.

201812  05189-1.jpg

201812  05189.jpg

• Staff

Hi Ianrb,

It is hard for me to recreate this myself as this version of the image is quite low quality however this should be possible using the Invert and Black and White adjustments if you are able to provide the original file I should be able to create a video for you :)

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

ianrb...

I made you a short video (no sound) that demonstrates what I was able to do to re-create your black and white image. It involves separating the birds into their own layer, and creating an inverted black and white version of the clouds using the Red channel. Also, I used the brush (in OVERLAY mode - from the Context Toolbar) to darken up the birds so they were blacker, instead of looking grey. Hope this helps you.

- smadell

ps - note that I am working in "Separated Mode" but that this is just a personal preference. Obviously, it would have no effect on the workflow if you didn't choose to do that.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

12 hours ago, smadell said:

ianrb...

I made you a short video (no sound) that demonstrates what I was able to do to re-create your black and white image. It involves separating the birds into their own layer, and creating an inverted black and white version of the clouds using the Red channel. Also, I used the brush (in OVERLAY mode - from the Context Toolbar) to darken up the birds so they were blacker, instead of looking grey. Hope this helps you.

- smadell

ps - note that I am working in "Separated Mode" but that this is just a personal preference. Obviously, it would have no effect on the workflow if you didn't choose to do that.

wow; thank you for doing that -- good job for Christmas afternoon :)