You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - Edit embedded image

New to the forum, so sorry if this isn't the right place to post or ask this question. At the 30 second mark of this video, he double taps the image and is brought to a screen where it just shows the photo for defining and editing.  I am unable to replicate this on my iPad Pro 10.5. Instead I have to try and zoom to just focus on the photo brought in. Can someone tell me, what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi dlle,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You are not doing anything wrong. The "image" that was selected in the video is not a regular "flatenned" image file (JPG, PNG, TIFF etc) but an Affinity Photo .afphoto file/document (or an Affinity Designer . afdesign file/document, PSD, PDF and other layered formats) which are inserted as embedded documents in your project (take a look at the label in small letters above the layer's name in the Layers Studio to identify the type of layer you are working with). Tapping twice on them on canvas opens them on a new document window where you can perform the edits you want, then clicking the back arrow on the top left of the interface switches you back to the original project/document where they were inserted with all the updates/changes you made.

Since Files app doesn't show the extension of the files it's not clear in the video that the file being opened is in fact an .afphoto or .afdesign document. If you take a look at the Layers Studio at 4:09 sec on the same video you can see that the label of that "image" layer is embedded document. Regular images (PNG, TIFF etc) are inserted as Image layers, not embedded documents.

Ahh! Well that makes more sense then. Thank you for the quick response. I'm new to all of this, so that was driving me a bit insane. So if I were to create a design document and drag it to another document, I would be able to edit it similar to the video?

• Staff

Yes, If you drag an .afdesign, .afphoto, .psd, .pdf, .svg etc (layered files) from Files app to your document in Affinity Designer (or Photo) or use the Document ▸ Place Image command from the menu on top left of the interface, both methods will insert these files as embedded documents which you can edit as shown in the video.

• 1 year later...

Hello, sorry for dragging up an old thread.  But it really is the closest thing I have found to try and answer my question.

In all honesty it is probably the same question and I didn't fully understand the answer.

In a nutshell, I want to be able to edit the nodes or use an image that I drag into the designer from google.

At the moment I'm having no real issues dragging it in from google, but once it is in the designer I cant utilise the imagine the way I want because I cant seem to edit it other than moving it and resizing.

I am super new to this and only have experience of a super simple design software that came with the Silhouette Cameo Die Cutting Machine.

Please go easy on me :-)

• Staff

Hi BazzTheMagician,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's two main types of files you can work with: raster images (composed by pixels) and vector images (composed by paths/shapes defined mathematically). When you refer dragging images from google you are most likely working with raster images. To edit these types of images in Affinity Designer (i'm assuming you are using the desktop version - can you confirm this please) you must switch to Pixel Persona (the second icon on the main toolbar - see screenshot below) where the pixel based tools are located. Vector based images (composed by paths/shapes defined mathematically) are the ones you can transform editing the nodes of the paths/shapes using the tools available in Designer Persona (check this help topic about Personas in Affinity Designer).

If you are new to design software you may want to take a look at the video tutorials posted on our website:
Video tutorials for Affinity Designer desktop
Video Tutorials for Affinity Designer for iPad

If you still have issues just ask here, there's always someone willing to help.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am using desktop.

I've basically thrown myself in at the deep end as usual but I'm having to design a basic playing card.

I have the temple in svg and pdf form but I really do not know how to edit it once I drop it into the software.

I have found that i can do certain things in the pixel persona but when i switch to the designer persona it gives me sharp corners and not the rounded ones from the temple.

I appreciate that I can use the corner rounder tool but I would have no idea if my efforts mate the template exactly. Plus it eliminates the point of having a template.

I know it is something that I am missing, it's just that I can find the answers from any videos etc.

I have attelatched the same temple in both formats in case you might see something I cant.

Thank you so much for the info.

Bazz

download.svg Poker Card.pdf