You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better iCloud Drive and "Files" Integration

Hey,

I've just started using both Affinity Designer and Photo on iPad. I think both apps should better integrate with Apple's "Files" extension/app! This should lead to an easier cross platform and app exchange.

The current solution with "open from cloud" and "import from cloud" are confusing and don't work as I would expect.
My idea was that using the "open" option it just saves any changes I made directly back to the "Files" app (no matter if the document is located in iCloud Drive, Dropbox, iPad or some other location). There could be a little icon next to the document (in the overview), that indicates that it is linked/located to the "Files" app. So you can easily distinguish between app documents and documents in the Cloud (or any other location). In this case the wording of "close" (in the popup menu of the document overview) would also make more sense.
When "importing" the file I would expect that the app creates a copy of the document inside the app. To save it back to "Files" I would have to press the "Save" button in the document overview.

I tested it and this isn't the case. What is the actual difference between "open from cloud" and "import from cloud"?
The icons are also extremely confusing to spot a difference.

Thanks for making great Pro software available on iPad!  

Cheers!

PS: Hope the label translations are right, as I use Affinity in German.

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Ak21,
Check this video tutorial - Open and import - for an explanation of the differences.

Thanks for the video. At least now I know the difference. :7_sweat_smile:

Though I think this could be much more clarified with better labelling.
I still think "opening" a file should sync changes automatically back to (and also get changes from) the "Files" app. That would make a true difference and a faster workflow.