You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Asian Punctuation Support

@GabrielM
This is urgent matter actually. Not something you can postpone.(putting vertical text layout aside)
Typography is basic of basic thing on graphics apps.
Especially when you claim it as a "pro" app and promote it in East Asian languages.
Who use a publishing app that can't handle text properly?
Please do not ignore this, you are losing customers and reputation in East Asia.

Well, look at Twitter. almost half of them who is tweeting about Affinity are Japanese.
And many of them are complaining about buggy/incomplete typography feature.
Is this something you can ignore?
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23AffinityDesigner OR %23AffinityPhoto OR (Affinity Designer) OR (Affinity Photo) OR %23AffinityPublisher OR (Affinity Publisher) OR %23Affinity&src=typd&fbclid=IwAR0LuXEwMo8JM7saManFTngoL3tEFFfVyztgq34Pr8T_dGCl1ALB9vtuV8c

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody wrote a blog post how to apply line breaking rules for East Asian language.
It's not perfect due to Affinity's ability but practical enough.

https://cs5.xyz/blog/2019/07/affinity1.html

It's Japanese article so please use Google Translate.
Also Serif should read it to learn how to implement line breaking rules for East Asian language quickly.

One of problem of Affinity he pointed out is:
It's prohibited that some symbols such as closing brackets are separated from next character to it on Affinity.
like these
!"),.:;>?]}’”〉》」』】〕〟!),.?]}。」、・

This cause a problem on line breaking rules for East Asian language.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 1:07 AM, GabrielM said:

As before, we do not have an ETA for this issue. When we have an update, it will be either in the changelog of a beta or a release version. You can find those threads here and you can follow them to see when there's an update :)

This is a needed feature!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/20/2018 at 4:53 PM, Gabe said:

Hi @loyukfai,

We do not tend to reply to feature requests. 

As for your actual question, I'm not really sure I understand it correctly. 

When you say "should not appear at the beginning of a new line" , is that based on the grammar rules? For example, the same would apply for English. You should not start a sentence with a full stop or a semicolon. But that does not stop you from doing it. Technically, you can type whatever you want and start a sentence with whatever character you wish. If it makes sense or not, it's a different story.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

When you say "should not appear at the beginning of a new line" , is that based on the grammar rules? Yes, that's the grammar rules. Some punctuation marks, such as comma, period and back quotation mark, cannot appear at the beginning of a new line. Of course, some punctuation marks, such as the front quotation mark, cannot appear at the end of a new line. This is the writing rule of East Asia.

Besides, the inability to vertically arrange text is also an important factor affecting East Asian typesetting

These are the only problems that I have encountered that makes me unable to use the software normally, and for this reason, I can't recommend it to my friends. It's really a pity.

Edited by $ERGE

• 1 month later...

As a writer of technical documents, I obviously find that good support for CJK languages is or the greatest importance, due to the multilanguage books I work on. I can't think of including a tool without this kind of support in my workflow, and drive a change in the companies I work for.

So, I too am hoping to see this set of features covered soon!

Paolo

• 1 month later...

Affinity系列已经步入了1.8,在IOS平台已经购买了Affinity Designer用于绘制插图和图标,但是windows平台我放弃了很多次优惠活动(包括近期的新冠肺炎活动)始终没有购买,我并没有指责的意思,只是奇怪,非常的奇怪,Adobe系列早已经实现的功能真的不能引起重视吗?逼迫我们最终不得不使用Adobe的程序作为日常工作用途。事实上,他们说的对,Affinity正在损失一大批用户,而官方对此的态度,正加剧这一情况的发生。(抱歉我英文表达不出意图,请用Google翻译)

QQ截图20200402152554.png

Edited by TheTree

• 5 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.