You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Asian Punctuation Support

2 hours ago, loyukfai said:

Posted previously on "Feature Requests" but there has been no feedback thus far.

There is (generally) no feedback on Feature Requests.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @loyukfai,

We do not tend to reply to feature requests. 

As for your actual question, I'm not really sure I understand it correctly. 

When you say "should not appear at the beginning of a new line" , is that based on the grammar rules? For example, the same would apply for English. You should not start a sentence with a full stop or a semicolon. But that does not stop you from doing it. Technically, you can type whatever you want and start a sentence with whatever character you wish. If it makes sense or not, it's a different story.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Yes, basically it's more or less the same as in English, e.g. commas and full stops shouldn't appear at the beginning of a line, unless you specifically make it so.

Right now, Affinity Designer and Publisher doesn't recognize these rules, perhaps because they do not recognize the Asian punctuation marks?

See the link below for more details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_breaking_rules_in_East_Asian_languages

Thanks!

• Staff

That would not be a bug in this case. Even Microsoft word allows you to put them in the front of a sentence. A text editor app should not prevent you from typing certain characters. What you're looking for is a spell checker. 

We have closed this issue as "by design". 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@loyukfaiYou can add the tag by yourself under the topic title.

It seems Asian typography feature has lower priority on Serif's roadmap.
But people more than in Europe and America is waiting for Affinity as Adobe alternative.
Only these typography feature is the bottleneck as you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

@loyukfaiDo you know any Affinity user group in China by any chance?
I would like to share information each other regarding Asian language problem.
I belong to a Japanese Affinity user group and we are having same problem with Chinese.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.