You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-breaking hyphens in PDFs

Non-breaking hyphens look fine when using Avenir Next in AP, but they appear as a boxed question mark in PDFs. Not a massive problem, but needs to be looked out for. Is it a bug with the font, AP or is it just my setup? Non-breaking hyphens work fine if making the PDF from InDesign. They come out okay from AP if I use Helvetica instead. Don't know if other fonts go buggy.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:43 AM, dave4224 said:

Non-breaking hyphens look fine when using Avenir Next in AP

AP = Affinity Photo or Affinity Publisher?  I can tell because of which forum this is on, but for the benefit of the broader mindspace, I think we need to discontinue the use of AP as a product identifier in favor of APh and APu or similar to tell them apart.

3 hours ago, Heikki Ohvo said:

Avenir Next doesn’t have the right glyph for the non-breaking hyphen

Interesting then that it shows up in the software.  I suspect that Publisher is recognizing the lack of a proper glyph and making a substitution of a regular hyphen with  a different behavior, but still exports to the PDF with the "correct" non-breaking glyph, which "breaks" the feature of having made the substitution in the first place?

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I guess I could keep Avenir Next and do a find-and-change to Helvetica just for the non-breaking hyphen. There are some deadeye-dick typographers out there but I'd be surprised if that gets noticed, unless deliberately searched in a PDF. I used to have to do something similar with some of the funkier fonts years ago.

APu, APub etc., I see what you mean.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.