You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag to Rotate

Hi,

The Affinity Photo has such hotkeys as Space + Mouse for moving canvas, Space + Ctrl + Mouse for changing zoom. But I don't understand why there is not such hotkey for canvas rotating. It would be perfect if I could press Space + Shift + Mouse and to rotate it very easy and fast.
I can do it on iPad, but it is not possible on Desktop. I know that there is some keys, which allows to rotate it +/-15 degrees, but it is absolutely useless. Look how it works in Photoshop. There you need to hold R and you can rotate it as you want.
It would be very useful for digital drawing, because of our anatomy sometimes we need to change angle of our view to be able to draw a line with correct form. In the same time another angle of view allow to find some mistakes in a picture we draw. I think it is useful and simplest for developing feature that can be implemented.

Watch this and see how often it can be used: 

I also noticed this problem, your suggestion is very useful, this is exactly what I want.
I also noticed that the program only uses bilinear reduction canvas, as far as I know there are higher quality algorithms. But they all need gpu hardware support, including rotation at any angle, this is a hardware transformation. Because APh There has been a lack of gpu support, so shrinking the canvas and rotating the canvas provide limited performance, they should be improved in the future, after supporting gpu

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:24 PM, Viktor Yurov said:

Look how it works in Photoshop.

Really? I see SketchBook.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hi @Ωmega,

I didn’t know that the problem is bigger then it looks like. Is there any limits? Why the step is exactly 15 degrees? I think if the step was about 5 degrees and drag-to-rotate was possible, it could be enought for this feature.

Even if the step is 15 degrees, the possibility to rotate it using mouse could be awesome.

44 minutes ago, Viktor Yurov said:

Hi @Ωmega,

I didn’t know that the problem is bigger then it looks like. Is there any limits? Why the step is exactly 15 degrees? I think if the step was about 5 degrees and drag-to-rotate was possible, it could be enought for this feature.

Even if the step is 15 degrees, the possibility to rotate it using mouse could be awesome.

Have you noticed that the quality of APH Rotate is extremely bad, if you compare Adobe. It is 15 degrees, I guess one of the reasons is because the Rotate of smaller degrees will produce lower quality. This is the truth, If you don't understand, please try to rotate 15 degrees multiple times. When the image is 90 degrees and 180 degrees, the quality is significantly improved.

1 hour ago, Viktor Yurov said:

Ok, maybe I really don't understand something, but why it looks disgusting when I rotate canvas, but it looks fine when I do the same with the layer?

Because the canvas adjustment is instantaneous, all pixels are processed dynamically, which is equivalent to refreshing the execution rotation every second. The rotation layer is static, allowing more performance to be used to improve quality, static only once.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...