You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Whither HSV?

Interesting new HSL interface. Thanks.

Though I am wondering what happened to HSV. Is it just taking a sabbatical or has it been consigned to history? I rather liked it and it would be sad to see it go.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Interesting, I also like the new interface (more possibilities, closer to old PhotoPlus, but i didn't had the time to investigate all of them). But I had never used HSV version. What are the ups of that one?

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

thanks, MEB.

Another kinda request: The new HSL looks like it does a select by colour. Any possibility of accessing the selection made?

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

7 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Interesting, I also like the new interface (more possibilities, closer to old PhotoPlus, but i didn't had the time to investigate all of them). But I had never used HSV version. What are the ups of that one?

Cute things like turn up L and get just colour info. Turn down S and it goes to white, not grey.

Dave Straker

As a workaround, for HSL, I used to turn the colors +180 degrees when masking, then resetting and working on proper values, maybe this is a workaround when working with these new ranges in HSL. Still, it would be a nice touch to have this like a button/modifier (to show what is in the colour range).

21 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

As a workaround, for HSL, I used to turn the colors +180 degrees when masking, then resetting and working on proper values, maybe this is a workaround when working with these new ranges in HSL. Still, it would be a nice touch to have this like a button/modifier (to show what is in the colour range).

Don't quite understand how this works. Could you elaborate, please?

Dave Straker

For example I 'm looking at these leafs (HSL layer disabled):

image.thumb.png.d419e8f6c4aee71c2f8322d5be44ea44.png

Here's how I would look for a an approximate area where the colors are affected:

image.thumb.png.dcf9d457a3a4e876e39d25300545ffed.png

After findin the appropriate ranges just set Hue Shift to 0 and saturation to 0%, and take it from there.

This is now way foolproof, but a good starting point for me. I use the same technique when masking HSL layer (so I see some very odd colors where the layer is not masked out).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.