You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Great improvements -- how do they work?

First: Many thanks, folks. Many great improvements here.

Now, how the heck do they all work?

Generally, the Affinity help system is much better than that offered by many other vendors, yet there are still things I spend ages tinkering with in order to find out how they work. This would be helped a great deal if there was a technical manual that went into detail about how everything works. Yes, early users want simple advice. But please don't forget those of us who are more experience would also like something for us that really gets into the nitty-gritty of things.

There must be details specifications for functions -- could not these be used to produce manuals for us more techie folks? When I was a software engineer at HP this was how we worked, writing both Úser and Technical manuals for two very different customer audiences (likewise in Tech Support, we differentiated the techies and tried not to ask questions such as 'Have you switched it on?''

I produce the Youtube Inaffinity channel which in part explains my 'discoveries''. It would help me if I had more detail to help with this. I wouldn't mind either if I could focus more on artistic aspects of the very wonderful Affinity Photo.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hey dmstraker,

A lot of the new features have already been covered in the help. As an example, there's a really in-depth topic covering the Procedural Texture. Video tutorial will follow closer to the time of the 1.7 release. 

A technical user guide would be a nice idea but we don't have the manpower to keep it updated as well as the videos, workbooks and other documentation.

Thanks, Chris. I'll dig more into the help system.

I understand the technical user guide dilemma -- lots of effort and relatively few users. But then those users will influence a whole bunch of others (as I hope to do with InAffinity). I wonder if a wiki-style thing could be done. Maybe transferring useful notes and articles from the forum to a more structured context. It doesn't have to be perfect, just helpful.

Love the hat. Have a splendid Christmas. Please send my wishes and thanks for such a great product to all at Serif/Affinity.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.