You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap picture to frame and vice versa

• Staff

Hi ChrisGraz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check the Properties button in the context toobar with a picture frame selected. You have some options to adjust the image inside the frame. Currently there's no similar options to adjust the frame to the image (automatically). Thanks for your feedback.

1 hour ago, ChrisGraz said:

Hi

Pictures should somehow snap to its own frame and vice versa.

This is, imho, a usability flaw of Publisher as there are currently two move tools for the image.

If you use this button you can move the image with snapping to it's frame. If you use the regular move tool it will not.

screen.PNG.c54cf685837aa50c16ab9824dba49c98.PNG

@MEB Are you aware of that? Do you know why there are two move tools that are different? I really don't understand what the intention was.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• Staff

Yes, i'm aware of how it works. I believe the confusion comes from the use of the "widget" here - the controls that appear when you double-click a picture frame - they were probably added to make these features/functionality more accessible/discoverable but end up being a little redundant and adding more clicks/interaction than necessary. We can drag/scale/rotate the image within the frame in this mode but with limited functionality (no snapping) compared to the real Move Tool. The "move tool" icon there (actually called Edit content) on the small bar on bottom -  only switches to the real Move Tool when you click on it - and being different in its design only adds to the confusion. A simple/direct implementation (like we have when we double-click a clipped image) would have been more coherent and have provided the same functionality (except for the icon to scale to maximum fit). I will pass this to the dev team and see what they think.

Thank you, @MEB

I was utterly confused as I first stumbled over that. I hope devs see the problem with it, too.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Thank you for your reply!

I really like the double-click way of changing position, rotation and scale. This makes it very fast instead of changing tools or selecting layers.

• however it should be possible to simply grab the frame and align it back to the edge of the picture with a snap. when i use the "little arrow" from the widget to move the image, the frame also gets invisible wich makes it even harder to find the edge. 
  • i also would like to grab the corner of the frame an scale it proportionally with the content. at the moment i can only scale the frame but the image stays the same. 
  • Also please add an "Reset X/Y to 100%" at the image properties or some easy way to reset distorted images! or make x% and y% as an option.

@MEB I already love the publisher and i can´t wait to make this my workspace!!