You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export: What changes?

If I open up a APUB document and export an PDF and want to close the document after that it asks me if I want to save my changes...

What changes? Does the PDF alter the document in any way? If so, it's a serious bug.

If nothing is altered the apperance of the dialog is a minor bug that should also be sorted out since it's confusing.

Opening the document and closing it without export does not spawn a dialog.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

13 hours ago, Steps said:

What changes? Does the PDF alter the document in any way? If so, it's a serious bug.

You can get a basic idea of what changed from the History panel. Basically (I think) if you have History entries since the last Save you'll be prompted to Save when you try to close the document.

That behavior is consistent with some other applications I've used. For example, opening a LibreOffice document and printing it will cause a similar prompt when you try to close it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

...That behavior is consistent with some other applications I've used. For example, opening a LibreOffice document and printing it will cause a similar prompt when you try to close it.

That never happens to me. I open various shipping label files every day, print some sheets and exit without getting prompted. If I change printers, then I do, but not just opening and printing to the last used printer.

I can confirm that the same happens in MS Word (2016 at least). If you save a document file, save a PDF of it, then close the program, you'll be prompted to save changes.

I'm pretty sure that nothing in the visual document itself changes just, as AdamW states, some of the data behind the document (probably PDF preferences).

@AdamW

I find it surprising that the last used export settings are a property of the document. I can't recall seeing that anywhere else.

But while we are at it this brings me to an idea: I can think of presets saved into the document and use them as a batch export.

In my use case currently I export three versions of my document (using presets): A backup version (no rasterisation, no downsampling), a print version (rasterized, 300 dpi) and a preview one (100 dpi, optimized for sending it over mail).

A single click to export all three and using the preset name as suffix would be nice.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

35 minutes ago, Steps said:

A single click to export all three and using the preset name as suffix would be nice.

Sounds like something you might want to post as a feature request over in Discussions and Suggestions for Affinity Publisher Beta on Desktop.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You can get a basic idea of what changed from the History panel. Basically (I think) if you have History entries since the last Save you'll be prompted to Save when you try to close the document.

Thanks. I always forget that there is a History panel.

And you're absolutely right. I has an entry for that.

I'll try to more often look into that thing. :-)

image.png.bc319e7359bd1eec303acfc49246d2c1.png

1 hour ago, NigelH said:

I can confirm that the same happens in MS Word (2016 at least). If you save a document file, save a PDF of it, then close the program, you'll be prompted to save changes.

I'm pretty sure that nothing in the visual document itself changes just, as AdamW states, some of the data behind the document (probably PDF preferences).

No, this is not what happens. I just tested it with MS Word 2016 on my site.

Changing PDF options on an export do not alter the document and there is no save prompt.

Can you please double-check that or tell me what exactly you did?

I checked the "PFA/A compatiblity" option in the PDF export settings for my test.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.