Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steps

PDF Export: What changes?

Recommended Posts

If I open up a APUB document and export an PDF and want to close the document after that it asks me if I want to save my changes...

What changes? Does the PDF alter the document in any way? If so, it's a serious bug.

If nothing is altered the apperance of the dialog is a minor bug that should also be sorted out since it's confusing.

Opening the document and closing it without export does not spawn a dialog.

 


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Steps said:

What changes? Does the PDF alter the document in any way? If so, it's a serious bug.

You can get a basic idea of what changed from the History panel. Basically (I think) if you have History entries since the last Save you'll be prompted to Save when you try to close the document.

That behavior is consistent with some other applications I've used. For example, opening a LibreOffice document and printing it will cause a similar prompt when you try to close it.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

...That behavior is consistent with some other applications I've used. For example, opening a LibreOffice document and printing it will cause a similar prompt when you try to close it.

That never happens to me. I open various shipping label files every day, print some sheets and exit without getting prompted. If I change printers, then I do, but not just opening and printing to the last used printer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that the same happens in MS Word (2016 at least). If you save a document file, save a PDF of it, then close the program, you'll be prompted to save changes.

I'm pretty sure that nothing in the visual document itself changes just, as AdamW states, some of the data behind the document (probably PDF preferences).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AdamW

I find it surprising that the last used export settings are a property of the document. I can't recall seeing that anywhere else.

But while we are at it this brings me to an idea: I can think of presets saved into the document and use them as a batch export.

In my use case currently I export three versions of my document (using presets): A backup version (no rasterisation, no downsampling), a print version (rasterized, 300 dpi) and a preview one (100 dpi, optimized for sending it over mail).

A single click to export all three and using the preset name as suffix would be nice.


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Steps said:

A single click to export all three and using the preset name as suffix would be nice.

Sounds like something you might want to post as a feature request over in Discussions and Suggestions for Affinity Publisher Beta on Desktop.

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You can get a basic idea of what changed from the History panel. Basically (I think) if you have History entries since the last Save you'll be prompted to Save when you try to close the document.

Thanks. I always forget that there is a History panel.

And you're absolutely right. I has an entry for that.

I'll try to more often look into that thing. :-)

image.png.bc319e7359bd1eec303acfc49246d2c1.png


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NigelH said:

I can confirm that the same happens in MS Word (2016 at least). If you save a document file, save a PDF of it, then close the program, you'll be prompted to save changes.

I'm pretty sure that nothing in the visual document itself changes just, as AdamW states, some of the data behind the document (probably PDF preferences).

No, this is not what happens. I just tested it with MS Word 2016 on my site.

Changing PDF options on an export do not alter the document and there is no save prompt.

Can you please double-check that or tell me what exactly you did?

I checked the "PFA/A compatiblity" option in the PDF export settings for my test.


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.