You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi noeltoddusa,

Can you link to the video you watched?  

Can't say this is something i've done before, but in theory i'd expect to be as simple as clicking File>Export and selecting SVG.  Hopefully the video will help or someone who has experience working with mo2 will be able to post the solution  :)  

Maybe digging into fine details of this Final Cut plugin/rendering system would help you  :

https://www.motionvfx.com/mO2/Manual/index.html#svg-import

"   exporting all shapes as simple path objects in SVG 1.0 format should generate a proper result   "

When I export anything svg to a 3D app (which I've done a lot) I check it to be ultra basic. (as well as the SVG spec required by the app, you can see there is SVG 1.0). Besides checking all shapes are closed, no single dot  or isolated segment rubbish anywhere, fonts are converted to paths, avoid at all costs any rasterized effect and transparency. You don't need any kind of fill, I guess, but if any, just solid fills. If the issue is that the SVG exported version is too modern, you might want to use Inkscape as a converter ( inskcape.org ) and try the several versions of SVG (flat, standard, etc). Can't say more as I don't own Final Cut neither that plugin... But I'd typically be able to make it work (there's always a way, directly or through utilities)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 months later...

Welp - I will cross post this answer since it does seem there are people out there searching for answers 

I tried variable checkboxes in the export settings and found out a couple of things.

1) IF you have a Transparent background, it will make it a solid in the 3D rendering. 

2)  Adding a White background behind the "logo" will reverse the process and make it so it 3D's the logo and not punches it out. 

3 )In order to Show Logo, you'll need to check the checkbox HOLE in the first option.

As you'll see - the logo looks good (I took out the words as I was trying some stuff :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.03.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 3.58.16 PM.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

NoelTodd / Olivier - 

That was driving me nuts as well - why can't Inkscape export a svg correctly into m02??! - I have tried so many settings/exports of even a simple Circle outline from Inkscape - and yet it would always import into m02 as a solid shape.  Very frustrating.  Wish someone would do a detailed tutorial on how to get this to work via Inkscape!!

But - good news! - I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPGvrxjT7aY. Its from MotionVFX - how to use GIMP to export a path / svg - and it works like a charm!!  I've exported text with holes such as the letter O and the letter P - so it knows how to deal with paths such as this.

I will still like to find out why Inkscape won't do this very simple export - but if you have GIMP (I am using ver 2.10 on my Mac) - follow the tutorial - and when you import the svg into m02 - it works just fine!

Hope this helps!

Edited by MozMan100
correcting spelling

@MozMan100

why can't Inkscape export a svg correctly into m02??! - I have tried so many settings/exports of even a simple Circle outline from Inkscape - and yet it would always import into m02 as a solid shape.  Very frustrating.  Wish someone would do a detailed tutorial on how to get this to work via Inkscape!!

While this is not strictly an Affinity app, it's still helping users here, so, thought I'd manage to pull a 5 minutes  (to make, less to understand) tutorial. It's using a Spanish version (sorry, you'll guess which the options are, as are in the same placement), and not the very latest version, it's 0.92.xxxx but surely is 100% the same.  I'm adding forum text notes in English previous to each screenshot, so, should be super easy to follow.

Perfectly doable. Similar as when you need to establish in Affinity Designer the document properties' background as transparent.

- First, go to "Files"...

png-transparent-1.thumb.jpg.ec572f1d997391e86c7d1be7d6357ae9.jpg

- Now, click on "Document Properties"....

png-transparent-2.thumb.jpg.343fd0aebc895f7fd3dae89696cff110.jpg

- I did this capture as is one of the things people not too used to Windows version of Inkscape can fall for...The dialog window can go that far to the right, almost off the screen. Place it on the middle of the screen to use it comfortably.....

png-transparent-3.thumb.jpg.e841864c060278633222caeeb52af176.jpg

- Down there, surely says sth like "background color". Underneath it, an option that says sth like "Grid background" ("fondo de damero", not the best translation...) . You should have that one clicked! Unchecked by default, reason why there's no transparency  ;)

png-transparent-4.thumb.jpg.2a804c9496b6639d4812454ccf624e47.jpg

-Typically, bam, that would be it. You will see how now all what was white background, now is a transparent chess-like grid, in the whole document background. Just like in A. Designer happens (or in Adobe Acrobat Reader, and a lot of users don't know how to do it in Acrobat Reader....)

[     "Pro" ( :D ) tip: When is about PDFs that are not for serious print jobs (regular users, not a print company), not PNGs, even using Affinity, some user/client will tell you that you are not providing him/her with a transparent PDF due to this! Even while u know u did the correct thing in A. Designer or whatever.  There's the pedagogic duty of telling them where to click in Acrobat reader preferences to actually see the transparency grid to be sure the exported PDF file's BG is transparent... But digressing here, sorry. )     ]

png-transparent-5.thumb.jpg.f1ce0489cdcca08bc9c96e766490491e.jpg

- BUT...! In case for some strange reason (I believe by default it IS set to transparent, just the parent checkbox unchecked by default.... so is just till here the tuto, clicking the option I said above, and bob's your uncle) The option below "grid background" is not showing as a tiny chess-like grid box (so, transparent bg), you could click on it and ensure the alpha in RGB sliders (PNG can only be exported to RGB, tho not that cmyk mode exists really in Inskcape, at least in stable versions previos to 1.x beta) is fully 0 (zero), and not 255. Careful to not leave there with the mouse last movement a value of 1o 3. Usually you wont even reach this dialog, as is by default set to 0. (actually,100% alpha, that's a bit counter intuitive, IMO, but hey). The 3 last screenshots below are just to show this.

png-transparent-6.thumb.jpg.c14db5a95cb34e4ed6edc36b1636a1b1.jpg

png-transparent-7.thumb.jpg.5205396b44a634d31d46d25cf72ce2ae.jpg

png-transparent-8.thumb.jpg.85d619a2b15f14f8a3bcea5e198c5248.jpg

- Now.... VERY IMPORTANTDon't use "save as". "Cairo PNG" is not saving for me with alpha, here. It happened before... If u see the file header (with TweakPNG, for example) is not even saving the alpha data...

SO..... Use the option "Export PNG image" in "Files" menu. Beware, a dialog window wont pop up in this case!! .

The export panel options are in an embedded menu, which might not show if you accidentally rolled it back by clicking accidentally on its title bar, and now is a vertical bar in the side menu. But you normally will see it deployed. And beware too, once in that export options panel, you have TWO export buttons. One which sets the folder and file name, and one bellow that one which really exports.

This all is zero issues for me as am used to graphics open source apps since ... always... :D. But a literal ton of people get lost in these details, wont see a button, wont find the way. THIS is the kind of thing (things) that ALL graphic creation apps in the open source world DO have to take care of. I hope that polish happens, as, functionality-wise, tools like Inkscape are absolute jewels. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Affinity Designer by a very long shot, but I love to have all tools I can at mouse click.

Let me know if that works for you.

8-)  

PD: In case that someone from the great ( I love the great work they do, as much as I do with Blender, Krita and Gimp) Inkscape team, clearly these users would have not get lost with simply a checkbox in "save as" (a bunch will get lost with "export dialog" , for other reasons...) , that would even memorize last setting, that would say "save background as transparent". That'd be it. Of course, I can see what might be the issue. "Save as" is using Cairo, and while surely that library (probably chosen back in the day for PDFs,  to indeed provide with PDF/X and cmyk support exports, with print workflows in mind (as they are also now introducing a CMYK mode in 1.0 beta, too) so, is super cool that they added it...but PNGs are RGB files by definition, can use another library if that has issues for this format?...)  , Cairo, supports well transparency, maybe not in how it was implemented on Inkscape for the PNG's "save as". Anyhow, am... almost... 100% sure this is polished on 1.x beta, or even, in a later stable version that my installed 0.92.4 Windows version. Again, if Google brings u here, thanks a ton for your great app and efforts.  :)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Woah...

The last coffee ain't making any effect on me...

somehow I changed in my destroyed brain SVG for PNG... but MAYBE it works as well for SVG, as is a global document property... (EDIT: again, bad quality coffee... this "checkerboard view" seems to be only a raster-export oriented feature. Not that doing one way or another is introducing or not a special tag in the SVG text file to tell it is using somehow a colored page bg property or sth).

SVGs are vectorial, and exported as such, the bg is transparent, so is how this other app is actually reading/rasterizing it, I guess, ie, needing a special tag written in the SVG file, setting the BG as transparent.. pls check if it works with the above trick.. I don't have that commercial app...

Default inkscape SVG files are plain text files.

Should be easy just writing the right tag in the file.... And then, maybe just use a fast python app to do it to an entire folder (or lol, any "search and replace for multiple files" existing free app/text editor, would also provide a full folder processing)

If the SVG is "saved as" with my trick in the above fast tuto, the code shows

inkscape:pagecheckerboard="true"

instead of

inkscape:pagecheckerboard="false"

So, just preparing the doc properties like that (no editing the text file) and "save as" the SVG normally, could do....But dunno what's the tag that your commercial app needs...

You could also try and save (formats deploy list at save as) as SVG "flat". Which is a more standard, non inskcape specific version of SVG.

Edit: Sorry, did not see  you had posted.

Here's a workflow that seems to work in Inkscape to import a svg into m02 - -

1) You don't need to change the background to transparent as per SrPx - though thats a nice tip - (hated working with that white page on the screen when I would launch Inkscape!)

2) I have been working with a outlined design that has various "holes" in the design - but this works with outlined or solid shapes as well - ie - circles, squares, etc

3) Select the shape(s) and then at the top of Inkscape - go to "Path" and then select "Stroke to Path" 

4) Once you've done that, go to "File / Save As..." - you can leave the default settings  - and you can also leave it to the default "Inkscape SVG.svg" setting - then click "Save"

5) You should then be able to import the svg file into m02 -(ADD / 3D TEXT/SVG / SVG) -  you will just have to play around with the dialog box with the "Use" and "Hole" checkboxes to get the desired objects (if it shows up in white, that's what will be imported and used in m02

Hope this helps!  So far its been working for me...but that above method using GIMP also works.

Oh! That's convert to outlines... the usual thing one does when exporting to ( a bunch) of print companies...

I guess it forces your app to understand better what's transparent and what not...

This is the only code that changes with what you say....

<ellipse
       style="fill:#362e80;fill-opacity:1;stroke-width:0.5;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none"
       id="path815"
       cx="104.69941"
       cy="133.71428"
       rx="45.735119"
       ry="46.113098" />

Hitting stroke to path (convert to outlines), obviously the ellipse is not read as such, but  as path with fill. 

<path
       style="fill:#362e80;fill-opacity:1;stroke-width:0.5;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none"
       d="m 150.43453,133.71428 a 45.735119,46.113098 0 0 1 -45.73512,46.1131 45.735119,46.113098 0 0 1 -45.735119,-46.1131 45.735119,46.113098 0 0 1 45.735119,-46.113099 45.735119,46.113098 0 0 1 45.73512,46.113099 z"
       id="path815"
       inkscape:connector-curvature="0" />

I guess that's all what your app needs, then. It's so then pretty straight forward, the usual thing for print workflows and other stuff for compatibility. A button touch, so, no big thing... :) 

That said... I'd always do it fully with shapes and all, a "rich version" of the scene, so that you can revert any thing asked for , or needed, leave the "stroke to paths" only as sth to do for a final export (ie, like a "jpeg lossy save"), not to store the source version so. Sure you are aware of this, but just in case.

SrPx

The m02 application in Apple Motion is great - but there's quite a few variables that the manual leaves out - so its a bit of trial and error to find the right solution.  And when you're trying to learn new software, you just have to stay calm and breathe - and try lots of things until you find the right steps.

Thanks again for that tip re: Inkscape!

Thankfully there are users patient like you that do that trial and error with their apps!  Others do just "abort mission" and abandon it as a possibility...

Here's hoping your research will allow you to create great work whether it's inskcape--> mo2 or AD -->mo2.

Cheers!

Well, the mo2 SVG based doc won't tell you much about how their SVG import parser expects or tends to import SVG code at all here (the overall expected SVG code structure, ID naming recognition and the like...). It just tells ...

"... The SVG format supports a lot of different types of shapes, transparency, embedding rasterized images and other features that can't be translated to 3D. Because of this, exporting all shapes as simple path objects in SVG 1.0 format should generate a proper result. If for any reason the preview doesn’t look correct, the Load SVG window will provide basic control over each path via checkboxes located next to their names ..."

... which will lead to the common try & error find out yourself method. - In such cases it might be helpful to inspect example SVG code (Github mo2 SVG samples) it accepts as input inside a text editor, in order to try to force AD to generate similar structured SVG code, or at least something which looks similar and can be easily modified and edited accordingly.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Very very true - the m02 SVG section is very much a brief overview - it doesn't give you the fine details or any step-by-step instructions - so one has to resort to trial and error for sure!  Thankfully there are solutions that are discovered to help.

Edited by MozMan100
correcting spelling

• 1 year later...