You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Go to the Colour or Swatches Panels and select a colour.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-18-at-18-56-22.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Check your opacity on the brush and in the colour panel.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-18-at-19-09-21.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think you might be using the Colour Replacement Tool, you need to select the Paint Brush Tool.

To select the Paint Brush Tool just press 'B' on the keyboard a few times until you see the Brush on its own icon.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-18-at-19-11-53.png

You have Blend Mode: Multiply set, change that to Normal

We got there eventually, its an easy thing to miss, enjoy your painting.

Have a play with the Blend Modes on brushes to get different effects, using Blend Mode: Screen will show white and not black, it kind of the opposite to Multiply.

Hello @Phily
Happy to read your question, let me now add my 2 cents here.
in fact, i have a Technic i enjoyed a lot for days which consist to duplicate the Brush you want to work with, then you go to its settings and in the advanced tab simply slide up the Hue bar; don't forget to put the setting next to that Hue bar to (by unfolding it) to Velocity or simply whatever you may prefer.
After that's done, close it and enjoy painting with flowing Hue colors.
100% Hue with Velocity will give you more color variance, if you set less percentage of Hue then you will get colors that fits in that space only (which i found not bad at all).

Hope this will make you happy !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think you might be using the Colour Replacement Tool, you need to select the Paint Brush Tool.

To select the Paint Brush Tool just press 'B' on the keyboard a few times until you see the Brush on its own icon.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-18-at-19-11-53.png

Dear can you tell me more about the color replacement brush tool and what it is intended for ?

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

2 hours ago, MEB said:

... although colour here really means Hue

Which makes me wonder why it was not named Hue Replacement Brush to begin with.... :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone. My first post here and very (very) much a newbie to Affinity. I've been using the Colour Replacement Brush to change the hue of environment maps that I use in my CAD package. The maps are simple and are either jpg or png format.

I had successfully changed the hue of two or three maps then late yesterday, something stopped working. With the tool selected, I can set the RGB colour values for the brush in the top right-hand panel, but the circle of the brush tool no longer shows that colour - it just remains 'clear'. When I try to apply a hue change, nothing happens.

It looks as though I've inadvertently changed a critical setting. Any ideas what that might be and how I can get the tool working again?

Hi MEB - thanks for a very quick response :)

Current settings from the top tool bar, left to right: Width 79px; Opacity 100%; Flow 100%; Hardness 80%; Length 35px; Tolerance 10%. I've tried changing these values but it makes no difference. Could it be something to do with my settings on the Colour tab? What's the significance of the foreground and background colours in the context of the Colour Replacement Brush - should I bring the foreground or background to the fore? That said, I've tried both ways and it doesn't seem to have any effect. Also, the button with the diagonal red line on a white ground?

In Edit>Preferences>User Interface, the only change I've made is to tick "Always show Brush Crosshair", which I found to make precise picking easier.