I have updated Affinity Publisher to the newest beta, and I see that it now has a new icon (the change might not have been implemented in the last beta). I know that it is most likely going to get improved in the near future, but I really don't like it. I assume the icons of Affinity Photo and Designer will get changed as well when 1.7 comes out. I have always looked at the icons of Affinity products on my desktop, and thought that they were one of the most beautiful and well designed icons. I understand that every software is updating it's icons in order to match Modern UI / Fluent Design, but I truly believe that Affinity's previous icons were already simple enough for the new design standards, and they are not really based off of Windows Vista / 7's Aero design language, nor the Materialistic design (which I both actually like better than the Modern / Fluent Design language). Affinity's current icons are something truly unique, and as I said I could totally see them being used in a modern style user interface. The new icon also puts an end to the Affinity triangle, which became Affinity's 'trademark'.

Here is a recreation of Affinity Designer's logo in .svg, which I made a while back in... well, Affinity Designer:

affinity.svg

P.S.: I have realized that the new betas of Designer and Photo have the new style icons as well. Also, Affinity Designer's new icon reminds me of Chromium's.

It's interesting that "Affinity" have just started selling t-shirts with what looks like the old logo, rather than the new version. It hardly seems like a great piece of marketing to start selling a t-shirt with a logo that you're changing.

Personally I prefer the original style to the new one, but, at the end of the day, I really couldn't care less what the logo looks like, as long as the software is good! 

I don't care all that much about the icons either. Or so I told myself until I installed the latest betas for Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher and realized how boxy and undifferentiated they look. It was only then that I realized I cared more than I'd expected. LOL  ^_^

To the developers: PLEASE let these new icons be only for the beta-level products so that they're not confused with the final shipping versions. I've grown to love the consistency, distinction, and creativity of the Affinity icons. The ones in use for the beta look pretty boring and blocky while sitting there in the Mac dock. :61_sob:

Affinity-Apps-Icons.png.36609170a2c413938f1899f6ef28c544.png

On 12/26/2018 at 6:09 PM, Ulysses said:

I don't care all that much about the icons either. Or so I told myself until I installed the latest betas for Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher and realized how boxy and undifferentiated they look. It was only then that I realized I cared more than I'd expected. LOL  ^_^

To the developers: PLEASE let these new icons be only for the beta-level products so that they're not confused with the final shipping versions. I've grown to love the consistency, distinction, and creativity of the Affinity icons. The ones in use for the beta look pretty boring and blocky while sitting there in the Mac dock. :61_sob:

Affinity-Apps-Icons.png.36609170a2c413938f1899f6ef28c544.png

These are really nice!    They would look magnificent on the dock.

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.1,  Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1.   

Magic mouse.9_9

10 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

These are really nice!    They would look magnificent on the dock.

Lots of us agree! The current icons are pretty cool, dramatic, and different. They're very distinguished from other icons in the dock.

But compare with currently shipping icons with the ones that seem to be proposed in the beta. I'm not as crazy about them. Are you? They're a bit flatter, less colorful, and just not quite as interesting (sincere apologies to the team who designed these... no personal harm intended) No, they won't make the software run better or worse, but it would be nice to see icons we like.  :) 

P.S. — Affinity Team, it looks like the Designer app icon is a little bit different from the rest in that it doesn't have the little bump-out on the top side the way the other two do. If this icon design is where it's headed, at least make them consistent with the bump-out. Give us a little STYLE!  :) :) :) 

Affinity-Apps-Release-and-Beta-Icons.png

On 12/30/2018 at 9:10 PM, Ulysses said:

The current icons are pretty cool, dramatic, and different. They're very distinguished from other icons in the dock.

Still hoping against all odds that our favorite Serif apps will retain their older more stylish icons. Maybe no news is good news. :/

Agree! I'm huge fan of the Affinity's "old" icons (they don't look old at all :)).

I don't like the new icons style. They look plain and oldschool.

Whelp.... :(

It looks like our plea to retain the AMAZING former icons is not being heard — or if it's heard, then the answer seems to be "nope." Development on the new SQUARE icons has continued. I noted minor design differences and refinements in the new Designer beta icon, making it slightly more 3D than the original beta icon.

Wouldn't it be a nice surprise, though, if the developers allowed us an option to CHOOSE which icons we want in the dock and in the Applications folder? :35_thinking:

6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Wouldn't it be a nice surprise, though, if the developers allowed us an option to CHOOSE which icons we want in the dock and in the Applications folder? 

On Windows you can use/choose whatever icons you like even those not directly supplied by the developers.

Changing to the old icons is really easy

Can you not do this on MACs?

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

31 minutes ago, carl123 said:

On Windows you can use/choose whatever icons you like even those not directly supplied by the developers.

Changing to the old icons is really easy

Can you not do this on MACs?

This CAN be done on a Mac. Nope, it's not hard. But depending upon your OS version and upon the apps themselves, sometimes the change doesn't stick, or it works inconsistently.

What would be easiest would be if the developers provided the older icons as requested. And then as a last resort, end-users could tinker around to try and adjust it themselves. :)

Ye gawds. Affinity's logos are straight out of the 1980s. So clunky and harkening back to the days of mind-bending 3-d tricks. The same goes for the clunky icons and visuals within the apps. Note to Affinity: you have produced incredible software, yet you present yourselves as an amateurish garage startup company who thought they could do their own graphic design. PLEASE hire a competent graphic designer to create an image consistent with your awesome products.

Still holding out hope that the designers (and marketing people) will hear our plea to retain the icons of v1.6.x, or perhaps even improve upon them! 

The latest blog post about the Publisher beta still uses the well-like design esthetic with its triangular approach. Vibrant and easily recognizable! Hoping they stick to the fan favorites on this one.  :) 

2019-05-25_22-37-31.png

On 12/31/2018 at 3:10 AM, Ulysses said:

Affinity-Apps-Release-and-Beta-Icons.png

Just a little thing - there is no shift (3D) in Designer icon.

I think the shift could also be in the X-axis.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404, Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.145.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

I also dislike the new icons compared to the old ones. Prefer the 1.6 ones. Dislike the square flat dull look. The 1.6 ones are better contrast, interesting.

Tutorial: Get the classic Affinity icons (Windows)

I'm really disappointed in Serif for changing the icons. We are probably never going to get them back officially, but I will show you how to do it for yourself.

Method 1 (Recommended)

1. Right click on the shortcut for the desired Affinity program, and select Properties.
  2. Click on Change Icon...
  3. Click on Browse...
  4. Download the icon attached this post, navigate to it, and select it.
  5. Click OK on both windows.
  6. Restart your computer if the icons are not updated.

This method doesn't break after Affinity updates, however it will only change the icon on your desktop, and not in the taskbar. I would recommend this method.

Method 2 (Full)

1. Download and install the program called Resource Hacker.
    (Note: This is a safe and well known program. The link I've added is the official website. You can check the downloaded file on VirusTotal.)
  2. After installing, you should see an icon for Resource Hacker on either your desktop or in the program list. Right click on it, and select 'Run as administrator'.
  3. Once in Resource Hacker, click on the image.png.c3c7bda2c3833625566b93c819d2c752.png icon and navigate to the folder where Affinity Photo/Designer is located at (e.g.: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer). Open Photo.exe or Designer.exe.
  4. On the left you can see a folder view. Expand Icon Group, and select the only entry there. It will be identified by some numbers. At this point you should see lots of Affinity icons at the right side. Right click on the identification numbers, and click on Replace icon, then Open file with new icon...
  5. After downloading the icons attached to this post, select them from your Downloads folder or where you've saved them.
  6. Click on Replace.
  7. Click on the image.png.0d1bad0edb927b6e3c0f3422eb705fc2.png icon to save changes.
  8. Close Resource Hacker.
  9. Restart your computer.

This method changes the Affinity icons on the taskbar, as well as all shortcuts for the program. The icons will be reverted after Affinity updates. Using this method, you can also change the in-app icons if you spend a little bit more time on it.

I might consider making an program, that will do this task automatically, in this case I will upload both the program & the source code to GitHub. In this case the program would replace the in-app icons as well.

Thanks. :)

Photo.ico

Designer.ico

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 1:28 AM, Pšenda said:

Just a little thing - there is no shift (3D) in Designer icon.

I think the shift could also be in the X-axis.

When I saw the new icons the first things out of my mouth was @#$-sake did they hire some 420 creative freak! 

icons went from outstanding to ... "what the hell are you thinking".  

Edited by JRD_2

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, bowen192 said:

I like them :) 

it's ok 1.6.5.123 suits me fine.  (no ugly icons)

Edited by JRD_2

Looking back at the old Plus range icons (particular versions), I think I can see where Affinity is going with this. Both the shape and design are almost identical. Also, it's interesting seeing how the newer concepts are based off of the old.

525689280_SerifandAffinity.thumb.png.8035481d6e18a90740f0972361ecd0ba.png

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The new icons indeed suck. I was hoping only the publisher beta had to face that ugly look, but I was wrong. It would be totally great to include both icons in the binary and let the user make their choice. Really loved the non-rectangular look, but Affinity totally ruined that experience on my and other peoples desktop. Not that that I'm denying inner values, but there was an outer value as well that is gone now. Actually I only signed up to the forum to agree to all those who prefer the old look !