You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still not possible to override master page items?

I've had some IT problems and had to uninstall Publisher for a while but I'm now back using it again for the first time in a month or so and I'm surprised that it still appears not to be possible to override master page items on a page by page basis. Am I missing something?

• Staff

No, if I have understood you correctly you are not missing anything. Master page items are currently the same on all pages. We are working towards an optional alternative behaviour when appropriate.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

No, if I have understood you correctly you are not missing anything. Master page items are currently the same on all pages. We are working towards an optional alternative behaviour when appropriate.

In InDesign you can alt+command click (I think that's the combo, I just do it without thinking) to activate master page items on specific pages. You can then edit / delete as required. You can then reapply the master to the page if you want the elements back.

There is also a general command by page where you can activate all master page elements.

Either would be OK. Both would be great.

I can see that with the way master items appear as a layer, that a different interface could be developed that achieves the same things and that could be OK too.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, hawk said:

Can't you disable sync in the Symbols studio and make the changes? Is that not what you're asking?

I don't think so. I must admit, I've not come across the symbols panel but having just had a look at it, it doesn't seem like it would do what I'm talking about but that might just be that I don't understand what Symbols are.

• Staff

Hi robinp,
The Symbols panel is really not intended to be used for this. Although you can use it to detach/unlink master pages objects, it's functionality is limited and the interface wasn't really designed for this use. The functionality you are looking for wasn't yet implemented in Publisher but we are working on it.

8 hours ago, hawk said:

Can't you disable sync in the Symbols studio and make the changes? Is that not what you're asking?

Yes, it's a trick we can use for now, avoiding dupplicating master pages for local modification on a page. The best way is to do some testing, once you understand how it's working it's easiest to choose when it's a valid option or if it's not really usefull.

Since it's a Beta version, we should be ready to adjust our files later with the final release. :)

• Staff

Hi Duda Covett,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently all master page items are replicated on the spreads which have that master applied (and vice versa -  changes made to items belonging to master pages on spreads that are tied to master pages are also replicated/updated in the respective master pages). The issue is you can't detach/un-tie an item belonging to a master page and turn it into an independent spread page item which you can then edit independently from the master page. There's a work around that involves using the Symbols panel to detach them and make them independent from the master page (because the master pages functionality is based on Symbols) but this panel wasn't designed to do this and doesn't provide adequate options (nor was intended to) to manage master page items.

NOTE: the workaround I mentioned above involves selecting an object/layer contained within the master layer on the spread pages in the Layers panel (all items there have a small vertical orange bar on the left of the layer indicating they are symbols) then going to the the Symbols panel and clicking the Detach button. This however will change in upcoming versions which will offer proper support to manage items on master pages.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Duda Covett,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently all master page items are replicated on the spreads which have that master applied (and vice versa -  changes made to items belonging to master pages on spreads that are tied to master pages are also replicated/updated in the respective master pages). The issue is you can't detach/un-tie an item belonging to a master page and turn it into an independent spread page item which you can then edit independently from the master page. There's a work around that involves using the Symbols panel to detach them and make them independent from the master page (because the master pages functionality is based on Symbols) but this panel wasn't designed to do this and doesn't provide adequate options (nor was intended to) to manage master page items.

NOTE: the workaround I mentioned above involves selecting an object/layer contained within the master layer on the spread pages in the Layers panel (all items there have a small vertical orange bar on the left of the layer indicating they are symbols) then going to the the Symbols panel and clicking the Detach button. This however will change in upcoming versions which will offer proper support to manage items on master pages.

Thank you, MEB. Now I get it!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.