You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm trying to fill a selection with a gradient and I need some help. Please see screenshot attached. The color should go seamless to those next to it.

When I open the gradient tool (the pizza slicer in the tool bar), I can define the start and end colours. But when I try to pick them with the colour picker, the tool closes and I cannot find out how to get it back. When I use the picker in the gradient tool, it picks a slightly off colour. Perhaps because it only picks 1 pixel but not 3x3 or 17x17 pixels.

I also tried to save the colours before starting the gradient, but I cannot find out how to save a picked colour in the swatches (cannot drag them there).

What is the best practice to achieve this?

11.jpg

22.jpg

• Staff

Hi user_0815,

As the colour you are picking from isn't solid it might be very hard to do this using the gradient tool. If possible could you provide the image in question so I can try this at my end?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You have another color picker for gradients beside the "verlauf" tab. Use this. 

The "trap" that you have to click the pipette again, to take this color did you found, didnt you?

The picked color is an average of some pixels beneath the area you have clicked. With the real pipette you can adjust how many pixels will sampled/averraged, but with the gradient-pipette - i do not know, if this taken the setting from the regularly pipette tool? On the regularly pipette there is a "radius-drop-down" in the context-bar. Maybe that help if set here it first?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Ok, it seems to sample just 1 pixel under the mouse, dosent matter what the real pipette is set. So if you want an average area, maybe 65x65, you first must use the real pipette and sample - a new foreground-color will appear - and then use use the gradient-ppette and sample the new-forground. 

Its always the same pipette in the gradient "window" does not matter which tab is active. But you can use THIS pipette (beside verlauf) instead the one in the extra-window in your screenshot.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!