You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro to work arround missing important shortcut, Fails !!

Hi Serfif..

This could also be posted in the affinity photo section , but i tried it with the beta and also the standart photo...   so ill post it here...

As i allready mentioned, for professional work on BIG compositings, as you do it all the time in architectural ore Rendering work , you need to compose dozens and hundreds of layers in some cases..   So you all the time need to select many layers, and put corrections on top for all of them at once..   Soo what you need to do is to select their pixelmask very often.. additive ! or to deselect from a mask , because something in the layerstack is above...

in Photoshop this is done at the blink of an eye...   just select the layer,  press    strg+shift.   click on the icon of the layer and the selection gets selected additive ore gets substracted from an existing selection... !!!     in affinity this is horribly slow..  you cant add a selection by shortcut...  you have to create a sparechannel layer by layer, and after this select them one by one and add them to a pixelselection..   this is so timeconsuming, the architects in my company are killing me for this one missing shortcut.. 

so i tried to ease the pain by creating a macro.. which ...   fails..     in adding to  an existing selection..   

so my wish is twofold..   fix the macroglitch...   but by far more important,  add this one so important shortcut to the layermanager...   PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.. 

You will find the macro i created and also a pdf showing what i want to do and how i tried to achieve it with the macro at the bottom of this post..  

macro fail.pdf

layer add pixelselections.afmacro

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo MEB  Sorry, i didnt see your answer earlier..

exactly..  Please Please Please...  this is such an important Shortcut. When you work in big documents, this smal shortcuts to add layermasks, or to subtract them ore mix..   are one of those shortcuts, you desperatly need to work fast..

In Architectural Visualisation you have to deal with dozens of layers that are mixed, grouped combined..   and often you have to aply masks ore effects to many of them at once.  having this shortcut would improove usability of Affinity for my company very very much. And i am sure for everyone else too.

Please implement this in the 1.7..     it should be done ease wouldnt it ?

Andy Somerfield...

Yeeees...  you make my day...   

Understand that this is one of three extremely importantissus, that i had on my wishlist for my archtectural company..      its one of the tiny little things that you use so often that even a smal increas of speed  makes a real differnenc in workflowspeed..

great to hear,   and three thumbs up.. 

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, miss_c said:

How can we add that as a feature request? Adding keyboard shortcuts to macro is a very much needed feature! :)

It's already added as a Feature Request, and you replied to one such request just before making this post :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure to be heard. And.... It's not really obvious which threads are just remarks and which are feature requests and how you would choose them or not. Maybe you could improve the clarity/transparency/structure of the forum itself to avoid redundancy in requests from customers. 

But thank you! :) Glad to hear it's been taken into consideration. 

3 minutes ago, miss_c said:

Maybe you could improve the clarity/transparency/structure of the forum itself to avoid redundancy in requests from customers. 

You're welcome.

I can't do that, as I'm just a user :)

This forum is just for discussion about a specific set of (old, no longer interesting) beta versions of Affinity Photo. The other topic(s) you responded to were in a subforum of  the Feature Requests forum, which is documented this way:

Post feature requests that you think will make Affinity even better. Any suggestions about the software go in these forums

You can look at the overall structure of the forums here to see how the parent forums are described, and then drill down to see how the child forums are described.  Then it's just a matter of paying attention to the forum name when you're posting :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.