You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.209 HSL luminance problem

• Staff

Hi Scott Williams,
This seems to be working fine for me. The colours become lighter or darker if you increase/decrease the Lightness - almost white or black at the maximum levels - but they never become neutral unless you reduce the saturation to the minimum. Can you provide a sample .afphoto file where this doesn't seem to be working right? That would be helpful. Maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks.

Here are two files. One is the jpg I am loading to do the test and the other is a screenshot comparison between the beta and the last release version.

As you can see from the screeshot. I am selecting reds on both and then reducing the luminosity to -100 on both. With the beta the reds are becoming desaturated.

This happens on every image i try.

Sat Test.jpg

chives in bloom.jpg

I agree with Scott...same happening here

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

8 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Scott, HVDB Phototography, Dave,
The new HSL adjustment was tweaked to output results more in line with other editors/maintain visual fidelity when exchanging files with hsl adjustment layers. These modification are by design/intentional.

I will need to check how Photoshop handles this myself. But it just looks broken to me.

You really need to get Photoshop and test AP functionality against it. This is your only real competition. In the end it does not matter what the reasons for design choices are. If it feels wrong to the end user then it is wrong.

Sounds to me like you may be being fobbed off by the programmers. I was as a programmer for over 35 years. I know all about fobbing off producers. You need a producer who is just as good as the programmers at programming :)

I concur with Scott and others in their conclusions that the luminosity slider in the HSL filter seems to be acting as the saturation slide, except for the fact that it de-saturates an image at each extreme of the range. That surely cannot be what the coders intended. If it is, why?

Happy holidays to all!

• 3 weeks later...

A current alternative I'm using to separate colour and tone is:

1. HSV, S right down: alternative is B&W adjustment.
  2. HSV, V right up: alternative is Channel Mixer, CMYK, Black, Black slider right down.

If you have layers with 1 above 2 and set blend mode of 1 to Multiply, you get the original image -- you can then play with tones and colours on the separate layers.

Still hoping HSV will return...

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

On 12/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, Scott Williams said:

The luminosity shift in the new HSL control seems to be desaturating the colours.

Just select any colour range and increase or decrease the luminance and the colours become black and white.

Compared to Photoshop (latest version) it is obvious that the new HSL L control desaturates the colours. Even in 8-bit mode.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.