You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could someone point me to a tutorial - fix wide angle views

I need  to find a tutorial to fix a shot like the one below. I am thinking that is a more complicated fix than I am finding in tutorials. Was thinking the mesh tool, but I"m at a loss for one like this. OF course I'm speaking of straightening. Not worried about the quality of the colors, etc. Wanting to learn how do do straightening.

small.jpg

I would use the Mesh Warp Tool, but that is a very tough image.

meshwarp.jpg.107fd879d31897c06985b5869d1ab177.jpg

Here is a quick attempt at it. It is not quite right in places but I'm not sure if I could get it much better without a lot of effort :(

msh.jpg.8cfd2561a59eab414b9cf87b7e9ac51c.jpg

I'm afraid I don't know of any tutorials for that. Sorry.

It just a matter of using the tool, double clicking on the image to set control nodes and moving them around

It would probably be better with a bit of a cropping due to the tree on the right. Unless you really want the tree ;)

.crop.jpg.cd84b29c348fa4d45be59494cc5953b4.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Folks, I really appreciate the input.

I tried the Warp tool, and wasn't having much luck with it.

I spoke with my daughter, and she mentioned she had one one time and used the lens correction in Lightroom, and it wasn't too bad. I looked for Lens Correction in help, and found it is in Develop mode.

So, I went into that and used Vertical correction, and came up with this:

87625770_LensCorrectedSmall.thumb.jpg.e6e94ab2f05dc36695cdf72e996ae779.jpg

I think this came out pretty good, and wasn't much effort. 

If anyone sees some needed correction, please let me know. I am in the learning process.

I will be studying the replies above (and any future ones), and will check out the linked tutorials.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Distort>Perspective Filter

You should both widen upper part AND narrow lower part to keep proportions right.

The method I listed above resulted in quite a crop, losing tops of trees, etc. Maybe your suggestion will work better.

Let me know if what I found was what you were targeting:

I found Layer>New Live Filter Layer. Did not then find Distort. But I did find Lens Distortion Filter, as well as a Perspective Filter.  So the path would be one of these two:

Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Lens Distortion Filter

or

Layer>New Live Filter Layer>Perspective Filter

I chose Lens Distortion Filter, and was taken into an edit screen at this point. There was a slider that would pusthe picture in and out. Didn't work as well as the Develop mode for me.

I next did the one with Perspective Filter. I"ve seen a tutorial at some point similar to that. Given my lack of experience with this app, I'll have to do some more studying, and practice, to get that method to work. I think it would be a good exercise though.

• 3 years later...

I realise this is years later but just wanted to say big thumbs up for working out how to fix perspective issues. On Lightroom it’s quite simple using the perspective tool but right now I’m using the Affinity trial because I want to abandon the subscription ship. Obviously comparing Lightroom to Affinity is a bit more apples to oranges but never the less I shall. The HDR, focus stacking and pano stitching in Affinity is just awesome having previously done it manually in Gimp. However I was finding it difficult to do the more basic processing that is so easy in the Lightroom. 
What I’ve found is it takes watching a view vids and reading guides but now I’ve found Affinity can replace Gimp and LR. It might not be as intuitive or easy to use but once you get the hang of it, it’s a cracking piece of software. 
I made a cracking HDR picture of my local lighthouse but it was leaning inwards. I tried using the perspective tool to fix it but the end result wasn’t great. After reading the above I went into the develop persona for the first time and found exactly what I needed, the ability to adjust horizontal, and horizontal planes. Hey presto photo fixed.