You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP - fastest way to "clear" a layer...

I often try brushes.... and "stroke" many on a layer.... 

However, i try another brush... and i want a clear layer and an invisible or deleted... old layer....

Well, i can several times hack cmd+z... or use the "flood-erase"... or shift+F5 and choose a white fill... and with shortys, thats speed up... however, this are only "hacks" no real, extrem fasthalf-fast-solutions,  which  expect for such simple operation. 

How do manage stuff like that? And yeah, is there any hidden way, that each stroke will create a new layer automatically - afaik AD will do by "vector-brushes",  but why not not for pixel-stokes, if i want???? MB on/off is recognized so easy.... is there a hack for this?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

3 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

However, i try another brush... and i want a clear layer and an invisible or deleted... old "fresh"  layer....

Well, i can several times hack cmd+z... or use the "flood-erase"... or shift+F5 and choose a white fill... and with shortys, thats speed up... however, this are only "hacks" no real, extrem fasthalf-fast-solutions,  which  expect for such simple operation. or creates dozens of empty layers before start... (but than i have to invisible...) 

How do you manage stuff like that? And yeah, is there any hidden for the opposite - that each stroke will create a new layer automatically - afaik AD will do with "vector-brushes",  but why not not for pixel-stokes, if i want???? MB on/off is recognized so easy.... is there a hack for this?

Not sure I understand what you want, but I would probably use the History panel, or delete the layer in the Layers panel, to get rid of a bunch of experimentation like that 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Finding the correct spot in the history panel can be a bit cumbersome.  Delete and add new layer isn't too bad.

Photoshop has Edit->Clear.  I was in the habit of doing Ctrl-A then Edit-Clear to clear a layer and found I missed this capability when I switched to AP.  I ended up creating a macro, though now I can't quite remember what I actually put in the macro.

edit: oh duh - Ctrl-A to select everything in the layer, then hit the backspace key to clear it.  So my macro has select all, delete (backspace key), deselect.

10 hours ago, Polygonius said:

However, i try another brush... and i want a clear layer and an invisible or deleted... old layer....

Well, i can several times hack cmd+z... or use the "flood-erase"... or shift+F5 and choose a white fill... and with shortys, thats speed up...

I am not sure if you are talking about Photo or Designer ?

2 hours ago, gdavis said:

Finding the correct spot in the history panel can be a bit cumbersome.  Delete and add new layer isn't too bad.

Photoshop has Edit->Clear.  I was in the habit of doing Ctrl-A then Edit-Clear to clear a layer and found I missed this capability when I switched to AP.  I ended up creating a macro, though now I can't quite remember what I actually put in the macro.

For Photo, the easiest way is to create a Snapshot of the 'state' you want to return to, or more than one Snapshot.

Then its a one click solution to return to it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

3 hours ago, toltec said:

For Photo, the easiest way is to create a Snapshot of the 'state' you want to return to, or more than one Snapshot.

Thank you gdavis and walt, but toltec gets the price :-) Thats really the fastet way, i never mentioned about snaps before. Thank you! 

EDIT: Unfortunately the layer-selection is not part of the snap or get lost by recall a snap? Any ideas? 

The "holding" cmd+A and delete if i want is maybe the better choice for this stunts. So the FIRST price goes to gdavis ;-)