You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inserting a character other than those listed under Text Insert

I am new to Affinity Publisher, though I have been using PagePlus for many years.

I have been trying to insert a character other than one of those listed under Text Insert.

In PagePlus I simply use Insert Symbol Other and it is then straightforward to select any character available in the chosen font from a panel that becomes displayed.

Is there a similar facility in Affinity Publisher please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Thank you.

I got it to work. I even tried the Segoe UI Emoji font and found that I could insert a character, in fact I used 1f335, the cactus. Not only that, when I produced a PDF document (in fact, a 'for web' PDF) and then copied from the PDF document to WordPad, the character then pasted across. This was as a character, not as a glyph, which I proved by then copying it from WordPad and pasting it into the Edit Search facility of the High-Logic FontCreator program and got the 1f335 as the result.

I repeated that with a character from an experimental font of my own and got back a code point of f9008, which is correct.

Gold star to the Affinity team for producing Affinity Publisher using all of the Universal Character Set and having the character codes go through to a PDF document and having them able to be copied out. This is a major step forward.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:19 AM, William Overington said:

Gold star to the Affinity team for producing Affinity Publisher using all of the Universal Character Set and having the character codes go through to a PDF document and having them able to be copied out. 

Here is a gold star.

I have made the gold star by using a punch in CraftArtist 2.0 on a piece of gold that I produced using some software bought years ago.

William

gold_star.png

Edited by William Overington
Provenance of the gold star