You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Problems in Publisher .206

I've just loaded Publisher .206 and tried to work with PDF files. A few bugs seem to have crept in over the previous version.

PDF files are much slower to import / load and save / create as an output compared to the previous version.

There are many errors in the imported / loaded PDFs, the most common one being spaces being replaced with a clear square block. Also sometimes images have moved and text has overwritten other lines. It could be my source file but I can edit it fine in Adobe tools without these errors, see the attached file, which is a pdf import / export from Affinity .206 without modifying the PDF.

Also, I tried to regress to .192 but found that this didn't work. Running .192 seemed to delete the . 206 exe without installing the previous version (.192). So I've re-installed .206.

I'm no PC expert so it is possible that my PDF screwed things up.

Many Thanks.

Affinity Test2.pdf

• Staff

Hi Tony,

Is it possible for you to attach the source file? I can see the issues in your exported pdf which is attached but having access to the source PDF you imported will be useful.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

Attached is the file that I'm trying to work with. I'm wondering if this is a Font issue. The font in the document needs to be substituted, see image below. I've tried to find out how to add a new fonts to Affinity, but not found that info yet. I've reloaded the document, but the problem persists. Thanks for looking into it. I look forward to any suggestions that you can come up with.

image.png.8191ab3ea9f1651cabc0a6d614d67798.png

T3DSO2000_Data Sheet_17-12-2018.pdf

It is a bit of a misnomer, but Replace missing fonts doesn't actually replace them. It uses the chosen replacement font(s) for representational uses. If you actually replaced the font in those affected text blocks, you would see the .notdef character, which depending upon the font is an empty rectangle (most often, but can be other shapes and even nothing).

In any case, for what is represented as the empty boxes in the export from APub is Unicode Value U+0007:

capture-002374.png.8be9839ad61a9efdb0d1445447836d10.png

The normal space character is the U+0020 Unicode codepoint as also shown above.

Here's a screen shot from the PDF report I just ran and is for Roboto Light. The U+0007 character is used 3 times (the 3X column in the screen shot):

capture-002375.png.4c101f9df928cc43de464051726615f5.png

Maybe APub ought to convert the U+0007 into a space character. But then again, I have no idea why that character is used by InDesign...

Mike

Hi Mike,

This is good information and tells me what is going on. What I need to do is a 'Find and Replace' on the two Unicode values. I need to replace U+0007 with U+0020. I don't know if this capability is in Affinity, be great if it was. I'll have to look into this over Christmas, no time to do it now. Hopefully this'll be in the help file. You are also correct in that our out sourced people use InDesign, which I do not have.

Many thanks for the clarification. 

7 minutes ago, TonyMi said:

Hi Mike,

This is good information and tells me what is going on. What I need to do is a 'Find and Replace' on the two Unicode values. I need to replace U+0007 with U+0020. I don't know if this capability is in Affinity, be great if it was. I'll have to look into this over Christmas, no time to do it now. Hopefully this'll be in the help file. You are also correct in that our out sourced people use InDesign, which I do not have.

Many thanks for the clarification. 

One can use F/R to replace them. One needs to highlight the text, go to the Text menu, down about 2/3 of the way there is a command to Toggle Unicode. Then type in the U+0007. In the replace field, you can just type a space character. Then use the Toggle Unicode again.

You will see there is also U+2029 (paragraph separator) that does not toggle off anymore (perhaps a bug). This is a soft return and they too can be replaced. In the Find field with the Toggle Unicode showing the Unicode representation of the characters, type U+2029. In the Replace field, click on the drop-down icon to the left of the field. Down in the list there is an entry for Line Break (i.e., soft return). Click on that, Find, then Replace All. This will ensure the same line breaks are being used where they were--at least if you need to maintain the same text flow. Else just replace then with a Space character.

Mike

InDesign has quite a few different non-standard characters that it uses for formatting. 

The U+0007 is the "Indent To Here" character per some old docs. 

There are a few others which will probably surface as users transfer content to APub from InDesign.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.