Yaco

iCloud Synching between Mac and iPad

Hello and thank you for such great work on the Affinity Products!

I am repeatedly having an issue with iCloud synching.

Problem:

When I make changes to a file on my macbook pro and save the file to iCloud, in a subfolder within the default Affinity folder, the changes seem to stay on my mac, even though the upload icon indicates the file is now in the cloud. The file image preview on my iPad Pro updates to reflect the changes, however when I open it, it's like the file never updated. I get the previous version of the file. 

I even tried making more changes to the file on my macbook, saving again, checking for the file to upload and for the image preview on the iPad to update again, yet again when I open the file on iPad it's the old version of the file without any of the new changes.

History

It's the second time I've noticed this, and it seems files saved on iPad do update and open well on MacBook, but not the other way around.

I already lost a lot of work on a document after the cloud seemed to have saved the larger, more recent file, but then it was  replaced with the older file (thankfully had a png export that is all I  need right now)... and now working on a new design, I have to Airdrop Designer files in order to open the updated file on my iPad.

Is this an iCloud or Affinity settings issue that I can flip a switch to fix?

If so, why does the image preview update on both devices?

Or Is the problem a bug in iCloud / Designer?

Glad to help with any tests or to provide more input. Thank you for your reply!!

Hi @Yaco,

Welcome to the forums. 

Are you definitely closing down the project before you re-open it? Also, make sure that the project is only opened on one device at a time. ( You should have it opened on both Desktop and iPad at one given time)

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hello and thank you for your welcome and reply @GabrielM

I definitely only had it open on one device at a time, however I am not sure if I definitely closed it.

I saved it and "exited the file", but did not "hamburger menu >> Close" it.  I'll try the full closing and see if that works, that's probably it.

Why would fully saving to the cloud happen only on closing but not on saving, even though the preview pic was updated anyway? Just to better understand the workflow I'm still fairly new to Affinity products, as well as working with apple's cloud and working between an iPad and a Macbook.

Love it all so far though, thanks again for your suggestion!

9 minutes ago, Yaco said:

Why would fully saving to the cloud happen only on closing but not on saving, even though the preview pic was updated anyway?

It's not an issue with the file being saved, but with the file being opened. If that file is still opened on one device and make changes and save it in place from a different device, you will not see the updated file unless you close it and re-open it. I hope it makes sense. 

Of course! That makes perfect sense. That last question was actually me getting confused about which device I was having trouble on.  On the iPad what you described makes perfect sense and would in all likelyhood solve the issue.

I imagine that "Exiting" a project is similar to switching between project tabs on desktop, so that you can quickly move between projects without having to load the completely again?

Also, being new to the forums andthis being my first thread, should I introduce myself somewhere or brake any posting guidelines? :2_grimacing: I didn't find any but thought I'd check just in case.

16 hours ago, Yaco said:

I imagine that "Exiting" a project is similar to switching between project tabs on desktop, so that you can quickly move between projects without having to load the completely again?

Correct!

You do not need to introduce yourself. If you want to, here's the link: 

And here's a link for our posting guidelines: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines/

I seem to have a similar or at least related problem (despite the previous comments).

I cannot access any of the automatically generated folders of the iCloud drive.
When saving a Designer document from the iPad in iCloud, I can see all the existing folders but I can only open the manually generated ones.
This way I cannot safe into the Designer folder, which was generated by the Desktop-Designer (also on an Mac).

Is there a particular setting to help?

Thanks

The screenshot shows the Designer save-dialog.

I selected the Affinity Designer folder, which opened, indicated by the arrow icon on the right. But the folder is not activated and the add/save-option (Hinzufügen) is inactive.
Tapping the Designer folder opens/closes the folder. (This dialog seems to display only folders, not actual files, so there‘s nothing to see in the Designer folder.)
But the folder does not stay active (grey), like the ones in the other screenshots)

When selecting the iCloud folder itself or any of the manually created folders, the „Hinzufügen-Button“ is active, blue and working.

6B38BEB3-9CA1-4B8F-BBC7-4B2CEAC559C6.jpeg

1E298C1F-36E0-43B9-BFCE-F7AF8E32E30F.jpeg

A405CD9C-A97B-4908-B604-73BAEAE09E83.jpeg

Can you please try this on your Desktop. Make a backup of all the files from within those folders. Delete the folders. Open the iPad app and try to save again . This should create a new folder and you should be able to save files there. 

On 12/19/2018 at 3:34 AM, GabrielM said:

Correct!

You do not need to introduce yourself. If you want to, here's the link: 

And here's a link for our posting guidelines: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines/

Thanks, I see so many strict instructions on how to post and introduce yourself to a forum community, it was refreshing to see things being intuitive here. I did check out the guidelines before but again, they're very brief and kind of common sense so I wanted to be sure I wasn't being lazy.

Thanks again Gabriel!

6 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Can you please try this on your Desktop. Make a backup of all the files from within those folders. Delete the folders. Open the iPad app and try to save again . This should create a new folder and you should be able to save files there. 

Deleting the folders wasn‘t such a good idea, it seems. The folders are not recreated.
In the save dialog is still the option to save into „Affinity Desiger -iCloud“ but this option leads to a folder „mobile documents“ in the user library.
Even worse: After trying to save there, there is an error message „document cannot be saved and will be deleted.“

Not really a great improvement...

Does anyone know, how to recreate the document folders?

I tried all possible resets and even uninstalled and then reinstalled the apps on both the desktop computer and the iPad.

Thanks for substatiated help.