You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some current performance defects

Hi! Thanks to the developer for their contribution. Merry Christmas!

In most cases, the performance of affinity photo is excellent.

But I noticed that in some cases it is slow :(

I used a 100 million pixels Lab/16 canvas to create twenty layers. The save of large-area modifications is extremely slow or even horrible. This is not a bug or a computer problem. Large-size (1000+) brushes are slow. Because of the lack of hardware acceleration

At the same time I use the macos version, the speed after 1.7 is amazing, the filter responds in time without any lag, and everything is attributed to metal acceleration (in macos 1.7 metal)

Please consider adding Lab/8 support to provide a faster preview than lab/16, especially in the current missing gpu acceleration.

I will continue to use affinity photos in macos mojave (metal2 api)

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

• 1 year later...

A while has passed before.
Is there any recent development on this? Thank you.

@Mark Ingram

The Windows version is priced the same as the MacOS version.
Therefore, the Windows version should not have any features missing, especially such a significant feature. (up to 10 times performance acceleration)

Convenient to disclose the progress of the work?
0% or 1%~99%

Why should Affinity compensate for deficiencies of the OS on which the user has decided to run the software ?

A Mac is offering better support for many types of artistic or creative use as Windows. On the other hand, Windows is probably stronger in business or gaming use cases.

So if you decide to run Affinity software on Windows, it is your own decision. Don’t blame others for this.

It would be the same if I would play the blame game with somebody, just because my Office software is running short of appr. 50 functions that exist in Excel on Windows, that are missing in the Mac version of Excel. Tough choice, but it is still my own.

2 hours ago, Blende21 said:

Why should Affinity compensate for deficiencies of the OS on which the user has decided to run the software ?

A Mac is offering better support for many types of artistic or creative use as Windows. On the other hand, Windows is probably stronger in business or gaming use cases.

So if you decide to run Affinity software on Windows, it is your own decision. Don’t blame others for this.

It would be the same if I would play the blame game with somebody, just because my Office software is running short of appr. 50 functions that exist in Excel on Windows, that are missing in the Mac version of Excel. Tough choice, but it is still my own.

Windows has the following 4 GPU acceleration Api
OpenCL  OpenCV  Vulcan  CUDA.
MacOS: only has Metal. (The rest was declared deprecated by Apple)
I hold different views. Windows has more sufficient prerequisites for GPU acceleration.

@thegary

Sadly, the GTX750 will easily beat your GTX2080 Super in MacOS Metal GPU computing acceleration.
Even your Threadripper can't beat the GTX750 in MacOS Metal GPU acceleration up to 10 times the performance leap.