You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked Ressources as default : Feature Request

Maybe there is a way to set the Preferences to Media in general to «linked» instead of «embeded»?!
I've searched, but I'm afraid I haven't found it.

If there is a way, please give me a push in the right direction.

IF NOT:

Would be realy a benefit to have the ability for set images in general to «LINKED». This would be made the dalywork really handy, the filesize less dramatically and the work with different medias with different work-status, customers, ... and so on really helpfull.

Would be great to get a new preference-point like:

«link ressources as default», below or above the current «Automatically update linked ressources when modified externally»

831713533_newpreferencepointlinkressourcesasdefault.png.f52152b95a637e03db91007344f31f20.png

Combined with a better solution to relink ressources like in the suggestion «Linked Ressources with absolut path?»

While I definitely agree with you on the relative path issue I think the preference per document as it is now works better for different purposes. Condider a big stock image folder used by many documents versus a self-contained document.

I hope Serif will give feedback to the other issue if they are aware.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

@Steps: Maybe you are right. But imagine, Affinty Publisher would be the perfect tool for any kind of workflow, project and different point of view  just by a handful more adjustment options.
One of them could be «link ressources by default». Not active but with the possibility to activate it if needed.
I am convinced that there is not only one perfect way in life.

@fde101: I've noticed that, too.:D
A feature request is probably not necessary, because I thought only the name "linked" will lead to the fact that Affinity will also cast a magic of file reduction and that ressources will be really linked, once upon a time ...

2 hours ago, mad99 said:

But imagine, Affinty Publisher would be the perfect tool for any kind of workflow, project and different point of view  just by a handful more adjustment options.

Oh, believe me, I can imagine that.:)

I started several topics about what I think should be changed to make it the perfect tool for my workflow. ;)

We will see what Serif brings us in the future.

Until that Publisher is already a useful tool I will buy on release. Even with the current usability flaws and other rough edges since I see many more tools that (let me put in that way:) "need many more adjustments than Publisher does to become perfect".

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I asked 'Is the reply in the thread "The colour scheme of the menu bar etc" really intended to be in this thread?'

The problem is now fixed.

This post can now be deleted.

William

Edited by William Overington
Problem now fixed, moderator may delete this post if possible please

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

39 minutes ago, Steps said:

Publisher is already a useful tool I will buy on release. ...

Totally with you!
This topic is anything but a complaint. it is just a wish or «feature request». 

I'm sure for users who love it (or crave Designer/Photo) to work with external files (even with the automatic update on change), this solution would be a blessing.

1 minute ago, mad99 said:

This's not a complaint. It's just a wish.
This topic is anything but a complaint. it is just a wish or «feature request». 

I understood it as a feature request. ;)

I suffer myself that some people read my feature requests as complaining just because I call for example usability flaws what they are and don't try to find nicer words.

As a software developer I may be used to that tone because most tickets come right to the point if something seems to be wrong in view of a user. Reading every ticket in my bug tracker as a complaint would depress me. :D