You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am a newbie with the Affinity Designer... I check different Video Tutorials, but I didn't find exactly what I need...

I would like to make my normal png like the Glow effect couch.png.

What is the best and easiest way to do that....?

I would really appreciate each help...

with kind regards from Germany

AD_Rookie49

couch.png

thermo.png

AD_Rookie49, there are a few ways to get something like this.  I would make my shapes with a white (or slightly blue) center and a stroke of the light blue.  Then add some layer effects to both shapes.  An Internal shadow (or Inner Glow) with the color set to be the blue desired.  Set the blending mode for effect, multiply does a good job.  Set an outer shadow (or Outer glow) with the color set to a purple.  Again set the blending mode as desired.  Then I'd add a bit of blur so the stroke isn't too crisp.  Attached is a quick example.  

couch.afdesign

couch.jpg.70fe1b25ce6cac3cd20bfd70baecac98.jpg

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

If you follow @Gear maker's advice, you can afterwards make a reusable style out of that for later reuse if needed. Or reuse and take a look at other styles and their used settings here ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, AD_Rookie49,

Easier may not be better if the base bitmap file is rather small and coarse. It will not scale up very well. Thus, the work to make a vector frame is worth the trouble.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet