You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am sure there are many people out there more technical minded to answer my question.I have not calibrated my monitor (I know I should) however I am thinking of purchasing a A3 color printer.After I watched one of James Ritson videos I decided to try the soft proofing method.Under the list of proofing methods I found my monitor listed in 2 different positions (see snip) and as you can see from the photo snip the sun is out of Gamut.My question being is the fact the sun is out of Gamut due to the fact my monitor is not calibrated as this does not occur with the sRGB only in the linear config.Or am I totally misunderstanding the various soft proofing profiles?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

• Staff

Hi Panlumix,

As soft proofing is normally for printing, you wouldn't select a display profile to soft proof with.  You would instead select your Printer/Paper profile for your printer/paper stock you are printing.  Depending on the printer, you should be able to get the profiles from the manufacturer's website :) 

49 minutes ago, Panlumix said:

I do realise this,my question why is this happening?

Because you're not soft-proofing correctly? As stokerg said, you need to soft-proof using a printer profile, not a display profile. If you don't have a printer profile, or a paper profile, or a printer+paper profile I don't think you should be using soft-proofing at all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, Panlumix said:

Under the list of proofing methods I found my monitor listed in 2 different positions (see snip) and as you can see from the photo snip the sun is out of Gamut.My question being is the fact the sun is out of Gamut due to the fact my monitor is not calibrated as this does not occur with the sRGB only in the linear config.Or am I totally misunderstanding the various soft proofing profiles?

Well beside the fact that you usually soft proof your in an image/document used working color space (sRGB, Adobe RGB ...) against an output devices color space like a printer/RIP here, you have just compared against two input device (monitor/display) color spaces here. - If the document/image uses sRGB as color space (has an sRGB icc profile assigned) and you softproof against those Dell monitor icc profiles, it depends on how accurate and close those Dell monitor supplied profiles (their inside defined colors) come to the colors defined in the sRGB ICC profile defined colors. So what you see there is that some few sun related colors are slightly out of gammut then, meaning that they possibly can not accurately be converted or shown 1:1 between those color spaces, aka without tweaking them in the source document color space.

Usually, however, a soft proof is performed against an output device or a print medium, and for this purpose, a corresponding icc profile is selected for the latter.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you all for your replies,the problem does not now appear after calibrating my monitors.It was at the closing of James Ritson's video that inspired me to investigate the possibility of some creative applications for this method.

I do have one further question,when deciding to have some photos printed by a professional studio should I ask them for their printer profile/paper profile so I am able to soft proof them in Affinity before I send the for printing? 

I think it's always a good idea to get as many information as needed from a professional print studio for such tasks, so you can be more sure things will look later as they should here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2