You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Brushes Disappeared !!!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @AleXandreaR. :)

Are you in the correct persona? I happen to have a ‘Pens’ category in both the Vector persona and the Pixel persona here, but the brushes are different.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, AleXandreaR said:

As to differences in pen brushes in different persona, I can’t say as I’ve none in vector persona to compare to.

For what it’s worth, I don’t have an ‘Assorted’ category in either persona.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

The files you have been importing seem to be all raster brushes for the Pixel Persona - thus the repeated categories you have there now . Who told you the brushes you are trying to import are vector based? The default Affinity Designer installation doesn't come with any Pen category by default. The default ones are four:  Assorted, Chalks and Pastels, Acrylics, Watercolours and Gouaches.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

The files you have been importing seem to be all raster brushes for the Pixel Persona - thus the repeated categories you have there. Who told you the brushes you are trying to import are vector based? 

Well, my issue is with the vector persona, as I’d provided the screenshot (first). I assumed those are vector pen brushes. 

• Staff

The brushes in the Vector Persona are vector based yes (although some can use raster textures but that's another point). From your first post seems you had another category - probably from a previous installation - that is now missing. Is that correct? If so have you re-installed the application at some point? Uninstalling/removing the app also removes the custom brushes you may have installed. You have to re-install them again. Do you remember where they came from originally? 

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

The files you have been importing seem to be all raster brushes for the Pixel Persona - thus the repeated categories you have there now . Who told you the brushes you are trying to import are vector based? The default Affinity Designer installation doesn't come with any Pen category by default. The default ones are (they are four):  Assorted, Chalks and Pastels, Acrylics, Watercolours and Gouaches.

Hmmm... this is odd. I recall seeing the pen category in vector persona. Also, I seen another user has pen brushes in vector persona. 

850BC44A-D70F-4E91-A47F-A4AA8C838467.jpeg

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

The brushes in the Vector Persona are vector based yes (although some can use raster textures but that's another point). From your first post seems you had another category - probably from a previous installation - that is now missing. Is that correct? If so have you re-installed the application at some point? Uninstalling/removing the app also removes the custom brushes you may have installed. You have to re-install them again. Do you remember where they came from originally? 

I had only one download right after the purchase. Never reinstall, never uploaded any custom brushes either, and never delete anything from what I had initially installed. I only reinstalled today after I found out my pen brushes in vector person disappeared! That’s why I’m so puzzled by it. 

• Staff

These brushes in your last screenshot are bundled with Affinity Designer Beta (desktop) - they are part of the Pens category (on Desktop) and are NOT included in the current retail version for iPad. The user probably exported them from the desktop version and imported them on the iPad.

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

These brushes in your last screenshot are bundled with Affinity Designer Beta (desktop). The user probably exported them from the desktop version and imported them on the iPad.

Oic, how then I had them in the first place? I certainly don’t recall uploading any custom brushes. 

And sorry for all the troubles and confusion caused. 

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

These brushes in your last screenshot are bundled with Affinity Designer Beta (desktop) - they are part of the Pens category (on Desktop) and are NOT included in the current retail version for iPad. The user probably exported them from the desktop version and imported them on the iPad.

I have those brushes here, Miguel. I’m pretty sure I didn’t import them.

I’m on version 1.6.4.45, if it matters.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
22 minutes ago, AleXanDréaR said:

And sorry for all the troubles and confusion caused. 

No worries AleXanDréaR - no trouble or confusion caused. We are here to help :)
I've just re-installed the retail version and there's no Pen category here. Only the four categories I mentioned above.

12 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I have those brushes here, Miguel. I’m pretty sure I didn’t import them.

I’m on version 1.6.4.45, if it matters.

Maybe these were distributed with a previous version - I can't remember.  If you haven't uninstalled the app (just updated it) they still remain there.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Maybe these were distributed with a previous version - I can't remember.  If you haven't uninstalled the app (just updated it) they still remain there.

I can’t remember either, but that may well explain it. I’ve been careful to avoid uninstalling the app so that I can keep the old samples without a lot of extra work.

Alfred spacer.png