You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vintage cigarette packets

Kasper-V

A couple of years ago I attempted a vector version of a British classic art deco design, the Wills's Wild Woodbines packet. Now I know what I'm doing, I'll have another go and get it right; meanwhile, here's a couple more I've done recently (and a little more accurately).

This one I finished off with a little noise to take the shine off, as it were ...

CP-Star.thumb.jpg.2e13aef50ade6d6a8b7f05718cce6ef5.jpg

... and this one I applied a couple of texture layers to, to make it look a bit more knocked about.

CP-GoldFlake.thumb.jpg.8af54bdd8f1784fd265ac9774823472e.jpg

If anyone's interested, I'll post the whole afdesign file for you to see what I did -- let me know.

Yes Garry, I noticed when I was drawing over the original (bottom layer) that some of the lettering, for instance, wasn't level; also the registration isn't red-hot either. I don't know if the packets were printed from electrotypes or from actual-size hand-engraved plates, but the originals can't have been much larger in scale than the end product, if at all. The medallion in particular must have been copied from the real thing, but with such a loss of detail that it's impossible to see what it was to begin with.

The Outer Shadow on the one lettering layer was a bit of an experiment. On reflection, a better way to 'pad out' the letters would be to set the stroke to the fill colour and find a stroke width that does the job. Well, I'm learning on the

job!

7 minutes ago, Kasper-V said:

The Outer Shadow on the one lettering layer was a bit of an experiment. On reflection, a better way to 'pad out' the letters would be to set the stroke to the fill colour and find a stroke width that does the job. Well, I'm learning on the

job!

Thank you Kasper-V !  Will be looking at this on Boxing Day,I usually spend the day reformatting and re installing my software but already done! So free to play this year!  Q: Where do you get the images of the old ciggy boxes? I love the  Players Navy Cut one as well as the old Woodbines..  There was another cigarette box  that was like the players with lots of  rope  and I think an anchor? White background.. but I could be wrong.. (as usual!!)...