You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Athentech Perfectly Clear plugin on Windows: not supported

Just tested the Athentech Perfectly Clear plugin for photo effects.  This plugin (https://www.athentech.com/) comes in both a standard "essentials" edition, which is also included with Corel Paintshop Pro 2019 Ultimate edition, and in a Complete edition.  This is offered as both a standalone app (you get both if you purchase the complete editions), and as an officially supported plugin to Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements, and Paintshop Pro.  It definitely has some neat customizable filters and effects for automating photo improvements.  I have used my free Essentials version in Paintshop Pro 2019 Ultimate edition, and liked the results.  

I decided to install the full trial edition and see if it would work with Affinity Photo v1.6 on Windows 10 x64.

Verdict:  Fail.   I can get Affinity to recognize the plugin in the Plugins submenu, and it'll even launch the plugin when you have a supported picture type and bit depth open.  However, the photo data from the Affinity workspace is not correctly transferred or rendered to the plugin workspace, the image looks blank.  Tested this with multiple image types and color depths; doesn't matter.  So, if you really want to use Athentech Perfectly Clear Complete edition with Affinity, you'd need to buy the current version 8 and use it as a standalone app.  Or request the company to provide official support in AP.  

• 2 weeks later...

As I see it, Adobe has years of experience perfecting Photoshop which included not only product functionality but the ability to handle many third-party products and provide a path for Scripts development.

On the surface, Photoshop might be seen as a over-kill product. Not so! When you look at the size of their customer database, you quickly realize that they have developed something for everyone.

With their last release, they (Adobe) has really stubbed their toe.

It will be interesting to see of Affinity Photo can capitalize on Adobe's miss-guided direction. 

I recently heard a business analyst comment on a couple of large, failed companies, (Sears and Eastman Kodak). He said that when a company loses it's way, it doesn't even know it happened.

Has Adobe joined-in on the "Lost their way path"?

Will Affinity be able to take up the slack?

Practically everything is becoming subscription based aka "continuous revenue" "Forever revenue" "drip feed revenue" When a company starts to do this it's goodbye from me and obviously a fair few other people. Adobe has a huge commercial market so I don't think they are that bothered, they'll probably call it collateral damage, weeding the chaff etc but the adobe army will still march on into the next decade, it isn't going anywhere yet. If you are making money from Adobe and your wage covers the monthly cost, I cannot see many people grumbling or moving to another app and have to learn to use it and learn all the workarounds to do the same job Adobe can already do easily. I think Photoshop is starting to lose its way and be all things to all people, it's getting a bit bloated but the compatibility and feature set is still the big draw. I'll use Adobe for the things Affinity can't do yet, but the shift is starting to slide Affinity's way more and more.

Affinity is the tug boat to Adobes cruise liner. lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Firstdefence, I love your Quote "Affinity is the tug boat to Adobes cruise liner. lol!":)

I was part of a management team in the photographic industry most of my career. During that time, I saw many companies come and go. All of them were convinced they knew exactly what they were doing!

Kodak and Konica are two great examples. Why I even remember an incident where Konica paper was producing a photographic paper that had an off-color red. This was not acceptable in the US and much of the world. I over-heard a Konica engineer say that: "We will change the red but our red is right."

As a business, there is one person that can "FIRE YOU" in an instant! He/She is called the customer.

I too use Adobe for several situations where there isn't anything better. However, in my segment of the world, composite creation is almost a way of life. So is being able to do it the same way day in and day out. When you mess up the routine, you mess up the producer.

As I mentioned in another post, my Daughter is an Art Director for a mid-size printing company. The latest Photoshop update was so disruptive to work flow that she had IT go back to 2018.

Again, for composite creation, Affinity has a faster and much better selection tool.