You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Judder/element shifting when panning canvas

When panning the canvas, there is stuttering/judder, and also the various frames/elements don't move together - they shift relative to each other. It's not great to look at currently.

I first observed this in early betas in September 2018 (under MacOS High Sierra), and the same is still present in 1.7.0.206 (now on MacOS Mojave).

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, 1 TB SSD

• Staff

Hi Eduard,

Could you let me know what you have set for the Display option in Preferences > Performance?

If it's set to Metal could you try openGL, and vice versa - then let me know if you still get similar behaviour?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 5 months later...

With every beta I keep hoping this issue may get addressed - no luck so far, looks like the product will ship with this issue as is. I retested the latest beta, on the latest mac software on multiple machines. Same issue with Software, OpenGL, and Metal. The issue is most easily visible with Software rendering - it's clear the various elements of a page (various margins, borders) do not move together as one unit. Some elements lag behind others, causing this ugly judder when panning the page. I've never seen this with any other software. Seems like a clear defect/issue with the way this Aff Pub software is currently designed. It's bad.

• Staff

Hi Eduard,

Apologies for the delay in a response.

From what I can see here the panning seems relatively smooth for me in all but Software Rendering, Metal seems smooth from what I've seen, and openGL there is a very slight delay (compared to Windows).

I am asking the developers to take a bit more of a look into this, we'd expect different levels of performance based on what is being used to render, but at the moment I can't reproduce the lag/stutter as badly as your video indicates.

Thanks and apologies again for the delay.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hello Jon,

The issue is not smoothness of panning. The issue is the various frames/margins/borders of a page do not move together when panning. Some move faster than others, and the result is a glitchy, janky feel and appearance. I've never seen this with any other apps.

Please see the two attached screenshots I took while panning a simple page. As you can see, the grey and blue rectangle borders move out of sync with the rest of the page.

If you will share this with the developers, I'm sure they will immediately know what's going on.

Thank you,

--Ed

Aff Pub - Frames Not Coordinated During Panning 1.png

Aff Pub - Frames Not Coordinated During Panning 2.png

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just panning the canvas.

When moving any object that contains a fill (for ex. a simple rectangle with a color fill), the fill does not move together with the outline. It makes moving any objects, or panning the canvas, an ugly and glitchy experience. No other software I've ever seen before does this. It is not a hardware issue or MacOS issue. It is an issue with the way this Publisher software currently works.

--Ed

Similar (more extreme) glitching happens when resizing the document window (see attached video) in ALL Affinity apps. The 'stuttering/tearing' is present regardless of whether OpenGL, Metal or software rendering is used. I'm running an early 2015 13" MBP on Mojave (10.14.5), but the issue has ALWAYS been present with Affinity products for as long as I've been using them (since Designer 1.0).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.