You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artistic Text Tool: Text is invisible

I'm not sure if one of the other Text Style bug reports already covers this for version 1.70.206:

Sometimes the "Artistic Text Tool" writes only non-visible text.

I use no Style, just normal text. What I write shows up in the layer panel as a new layer and on the canvas I can see the rectangle, but the text is not printed.

I can save the document, close the app, open it again, load the document again. Then I see for a few seconds the text layers until they disappear.

I'm not sure how to reproduce this. For now it seems to happen random.

Sorry if this is a dublicate.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I don't recall seeing that one.

If you have a situation where you can save the file, close Publisher, re-open the file and it happens again, then it would help for you to provide that .afpub file so others can try to reproduce what you're seeing.

If it's something that you can't share publicly one of the Serif staff can provide a private upload link.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just figured out that I can also drag the rectangle to some distance to make the font appear.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I had a similar problem in Designer recently. It was solved by pressing the "Revert Defaults" button. Maybe I'd done something to make the text transparent.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:04 PM, Steps said:

Sometimes the "Artistic Text Tool" writes only non-visible text.

I use no Style, just normal text. What I write shows up in the layer panel as a new layer and on the canvas I can see the rectangle, but the text is not printed.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Yes, it's really hard to preproduce it.
On a new clean document using the same font I wasn't able to do it.

After reverting to defaults it seems not to happen anymore (did not test for long).

I tried to remove some pages and images from the document,
but as soon as I delete pages or enough images the bug does not appear anymore.

Also I have to correct my statement above:
Most of the time the broken text layer gets already sorted out during saving.
It was just one case that it was still there after reloading.

Maybe it has to do something with the documents over-all size. I'm not sure.
My document has 10 pages with about 6 to 8 images on it.

I'm sorry, but right now not willing to share the document.
It's a personal photobook.

I hope somebody else who can actually share a document
encouters this bug or finds out what exactly causes it.

• 3 weeks later...

@JFisher Since I encountered crashing issues I created a copy of my project to demonstrate the problems.

As the other topic has a focus on the crashes I uploaded the same file to your request link as it also demonstrates the invisible text problem.

The file contains the TrueType font I'm using in the document. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Sometimes I can set 20 texts without problems and then there comes an invisible one.

I hope you can reproduce it with my file.

• 3 weeks later...

@JFisher Did you have any luck so far reproducing the problem with the file I provided?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.