You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool: constrain to image by default

Hi everyone, I really like the new crop tool coming in version 1.7, but I have one usability issue when using crop ratios other than the original image ratio: Say I have a widescreen image of e.g. 16:9, I choose the crop tool and choose a custom ratio of 1:1. What happens is that the crop frame grows in size until the complete image is covered, creating big transparent areas on the top and bottom of the image. I manually have to size down the box until the transparent areas disappear. So my question is: Should it really the default behavior of Photo to introduce a border when changing the crop ratio? Wouldn't it make more sense to actually 'crop' an image by default (meaning: cutting away image information that doesn't fit into the frame of the current crop ratio)? I don't know if this has been discussed before, but it would make much more sense to me. Or is there a setting that I missed?

In this forum there are maybe 23 ask to the crop-tool! Approximately  you would find your answer there!

In #106 the crop will not be "destructive". You will hold the (often) big "frame".

This has dis- and advantages... depending on what you what to do later.  Half people like that the crop is non-destructive, another half would prefer that is (canvas)-destructive... 

AP is lack of OPTIONS, in #105 you could choose how the crop will work!  Destruct, not destruct.... But in #106 its gone away. But you can (really) RASTER the image/layer... with the first "raster..." 

item in 1.7 (there are new 2: The first will destructive raster to canvas > useful for speedup filters, adjustmenst, file-size.....The other one KEEPS the image/layer > useful for later move/reposition...

till #106 there was an option to decide, how its will cropped (rastered). Since #106 there is not.

For me its not a problem, i crop maybe-3-times per session/image... and  i´m happy to have the possibility to REALLY "crop/raster" the layer to canvas. Most STUNTS (like are-impainting (shift+F5....) or 80% of macros.... needs a destructive-rastered-layer...

I have no problem with the crop.... (and maybe impaiting, but only if i RASTER this layer DESTRUCTIVE!  Aslong as  i can "REALLY raster" a layer.... i´m very ok with that. But i´m, power user, i know the traps... "... So this is maybe a new one of AP-Top 5, like cannot this or this or this....  (Top 1-ANSWER - Fisrt make your image as a pixel-layer....!!!). 

I do not know, why SERIF will not fix such annoying "bugs, inconsistent, traps..."  ... i do not know... i´m ok with that crop-"behavior".. BUT: thousands and thousands... people of peple not....i (really) raster the laver after...and all will work fine agter this.... but yeah, its a big trap, now....

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

@Polygonius My concern is not about destructive and non-destructive crop, and I don't understand what problem people have with the Rasterise feature if they really want to discard the cropped areas. So no need for action here from my point of view. This thread is about whether the crop tool should expand the canvas by default, which I think it shouldn't, but which it does in 1.7 beta if the crop ratio is smaller than the original image ratio.

• Staff

Looks like a regression from 1.6 unless it's by design which would be a shame. I will get this looked into.

@Polygonius - The crop and raster issue can worked around by using the new Rasterise & Trim option from the Layer menu. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.