You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Independent dynamic numbering for different paragraphs

I have seen that there has been a discussion about dynamic numbering and cross-referencing but it did not exactly give an answer to my question: is it currently possible to have a dynamic numbering scheme like (without cross-referencing):

Figure 1...

Figure 2...

Formula 1...

Figure 3...

Formula 2...

"Figure x" and "Formula x" have different numbering styles. The numbering styles can be single or multi-level.

4 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

If the lists are in different stories

Stories?

Does that mean Text Frames, or something else? I don't recall seeing that term used/defined for Publisher previously.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Stories?

Does that mean Text Frames, or something else? I don't recall seeing that term used/defined for Publisher previously.

Text frames contain stories. Text frames linked to each other contain a single story. Individual, non-threaded text frames each contain their own story.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:12 PM, HardyW said:

This is what I thought, too, but it is not working light that.

Test.afpub

That file doesn't set the list names. This is the control about 2/3rds of the way down in the Edit Text Style panel, with the Global option right of it.

The list name is different to the name of the text style. Different text styles must have different names, but may use the same list name. This is necessary for multi-level lists, for example.

You can use lists, and multi-level lists, without using text styles. So the list stuff doesn't know anything about the style names. Similarly the next level stuff just links styles and doesn't place any restrictions on what those styles can do.

You might have Chapter numbers as level 1, then either a bullet list as level 2 or a numbered list as level 2 depending on the list content. In which case you might want the next level style to be the bullet list style.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:45 AM, Dave Harris said:

list names. This is the control about 2/3rds of the way down in the Edit Text Style panel, with the Global option right of it.

Within the "Bullets and Numbering" section of the "Edit Text Style" panel.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:50 AM, Dave Harris said:

So the list stuff doesn't know anything about the style names.

So why is the (list) "Name" control situated within the "Edit Text Style" panel?

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3