You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APH is slow - Improvement by Graphics or Memory?

Hi there,

Affinity Photo is fairly slow on my current computer - e. g. there is a significant lag when changing a setting in an adjustment layer.

Which compoments of the hardware affect Affinity's performance? Is it supported by the graphics device and can I expect an improvement when buying a more powerful one? Currently there is onboard graphis AMD Radeon HD 8570D.

Or is upgrading the memory more promising? Currently there are 8GB.

My OS is Win 7 Home Premium. System and Software on SSD.

Best regards - Ulrich

More memory will never hurt, but 8GB is also quite enough. Of course, much depends on how you handle large photos and how difficult you make with them. So look at memory usage during typical editing, if it's already at its peak. In my opinion, however, the biggest brake is the CPU performance.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, Sempervivum said:

there is a significant lag when changing a setting in an adjustment layer.

For me this is a dead give-away.  Either processing speed can not cope because the file size of that image is too big now, and, take a look at clearing up clutter, try to make sure that the computer is running only Affinity and not other background processes, maybe apps?  I have had this happen to me on the mac and all I do is drop the amount of re-dos that have been allotted to the software (that is remembering History as you edit) and reduce the amount of re-draws necessary when zooming and so on, (I do not know if the latter is available in Af Photo) but the former is, I also save the file with all layers intact and then do a save-as, continue editing  this new SAVE-AS file AFTER I have flattened what I know I probably no longer need to edit, that always works reduces load on the processor and functions where the software is making more page outs than page ins.. (page outs should always be less than page ins when it comes to memory swapping, this is the best indicator of computer performance when it comes to resource intensive applications).  I have only  4 gb on win 10 and still operates very well.  So memory is not an issue with you I believe. 

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo and thanks for the replies and advice so far.

In the meantime I looked at the memory usage and when several photos are open it's close to it's limit. Therefore I consider upgrading to 16GB.

the biggest brake is the CPU performance.

This is an additional aspect and I consider upgrading to a more powerful CPU. Does AP benefit from Multicore CPUs? Currently there is AMD A8-6600K which has 4 Cores AFAIK. Can I expect that upgrading to a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8× 3700 MHz would increase the performance significantly?

Best regards - Ulrich

45 minutes ago, Sempervivum said:

Does AP benefit from Multicore CPUs?

Yes it's said to do so.

46 minutes ago, Sempervivum said:

Can I expect that upgrading to a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8× 3700 MHz would increase the performance significantly?

Usually it should, beside multiple CPU cores having enough RAM and mass storage I/O (SSDs etc.) is also an aspect to fasten a system on every computer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2