You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export problem

My language is French, sorry for my bad English... I try to explain my problem :

I open a PDF file with AfPub (30 pages, text only)

I add a blank page

I insert a title with "Artistic text tool"

I try to export in PDF format and I receive the message "An error occured....". Who can help me ?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Publisher - Windows 10

3 hours ago, Framon said:

My language is French, sorry for my bad English... I try to explain my problem :

I open a PDF file with AfPub (30 pages, text only)

I add a blank page

I insert a title with "Artistic text tool"

I try to export in PDF format and I receive the message "An error occured....". Who can help me ?

Hello @Framon,

I tried to reproduce this with a PDF of my own (650 pages, text only except for one image).
I added one page at the beginning, inserted a one line title with the 'Artistic Text Tool' and exported. No error occured.

You'd have to provide a little more information:

• What version of APub are you using.
  • Where do you add the blank page (at the beginning or at the end).
  • What font was used to create the title?
  • What is the source / the creating software of the PDF.
  • Can you by any chance post the PDF here in the forum so that others can try to replicate?
  • Did you save the PDF as a seperate file or did you try to overwrite the original file?

You see, there are many factors that can be the source and there may be even more of them :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi Dominik, many thanks for trying to help me.

• APub 1.7.0.206
  • At the beginning (first page)
  • I tried with different fonts
  • The source was created with PDF-Xchange Editor Plus
  • See attached file (original file was without the fist page)
  • I saved the PDF as separate file

Visites escales_Costa-Internet.pdf

51 minutes ago, Framon said:

Hi Dominik, many thanks for trying to help me.

• APub 1.7.0.206
  • At the beginning (first page)
  • I tried with different fonts
  • The source was created with PDF-Xchange Editor Plus
  • See attached file (original file was without the fist page)
  • I saved the PDF as separate file

Visites escales_Costa-Internet.pdf

Hi @Framon,

thank you for the details and the PDF. I opened it, added a blank page before the first page and added an Artistic Text in it.

Export as PDF (presets 'PDF for export', 'PDF for print', 'PDF for web', 'PDF flatten' and 'PDF/X-3.2003') worked without a problem.

Did you by any chance save to an external drive or a network drive?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

No, Dominik.

An other face of my problem : I open the PDF file with AfPub. I save it in afpub format. I open it and want to export in PDF in a other directory : same error message...

I tear my hair ...

47 minutes ago, Framon said:

No, Dominik.

An other face of my problem : I open the PDF file with AfPub. I save it in afpub format. I open it and want to export in PDF in a other directory : same error message...

I tear my hair ...

I'm not sure if these instructions will still work, or work for Publisher, but they have worked for users of Designer on Windows in the past. If they work you'll get a log file that may provide more information about the problem. You could post the log file here if you need help interpreting it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Framon said:

I tried many times to resolve my problem but I always receive same message.

I'll try the solution proposed by walt.farrell.

Thank you all.

Hello @Framon,

I'm sorry that the problem is not solved yet. At the moment I am out of ideas but walt.farrell's tip could shed some light to the source of the problem.

I haven't asked on which platform you are: MacOS or Windows? Windows which version. There must be some imcompatibility with your system that others don't have.

d.

Hello Dominik,

I updated my signature. You will be able to see my O.S.

I tried with other PDF files. When I open PDF file with AfPub, save it in afpub format, open it and want to save it again in PDF format, I receive immediately the same message.

No time today for testing the walt.farrell's tip. Thanks again to all.

Bonjour Framon, j'ai répété les mêmes opérations que vous décrivez avec différents fichiers PDF et je n'ai aucun problème. Le problème découle sans doute d'une erreur d'accès au disque ou fichiers.

Hi Framon, I did the exact same steps that you describe, using different PDF files, and I don't have any problem opening and saving them. The problem looks more as a file or disk acces than a bug in Publisher.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

The most common problem that gives that error, if I remember correctly from the forum posts I've read, is an issue with some specific font that the user has installed. Removing or fixing that font has fixed the problem for several other users with that problem.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

YES, walt.farrel !!! You're right !

I've uninstalled my last downloaded fonts and now, PDF Export works perfectly. Thank you so much for your help. :D

Merci aussi à AlainP de la Belle Province. Danke an Dominik für Ihren Rat.

For your information, the problematic font was "INDOCHIN_0.TTF".

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The most common problem that gives that error, if I remember correctly from the forum posts I've read, is an issue with some specific font that the user has installed. Removing or fixing that font has fixed the problem for several other users with that problem.

Do you know whether this is a single font, or whether everyone has other fonts to blame?
Perhaps also the long processing time is a reason (see my post above).

I cannot say more. My problematic font was one I have downloaded from an Internet site. In my opinion, other fonts are in the case.

As I writed above, when I encountered the problem, it was immediately after choosing the directory to save the export file.

3 hours ago, Michail said:

Do you know whether this is a single font, or whether everyone has other fonts to blame?
Perhaps also the long processing time is a reason (see my post above).

I think I've seen a variety of fonts involved. I doubt it would explain a long export time; that's probably based on the complexity of the file (layers, live filters, etc.) in most cases.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

that's probably based on the complexity of the file (layers, live filters, etc.) in most cases.

You're probably right... again... :)

For what it's worth, I had problems with creating PDF files if I was using a proprietary font that required a license to use, or where the license was restricted. Sometimes the license can not be found, even when it's there. Can't remember how I did this, but I was able to list all the fonts installed in Windows showing whether or not it was proprietary. Once I stopped using these fonts, I had no more problems.

Hello ToOldForThis,

Thank you for your advice. I think I found how to list the fonts with the characteristics :

Directory C:\Windows\Fonts (View details). Example in French version :

Polices.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with the pdf-export and I deleted all unused fonts the old font agent and font explorer....but always I got the same error message:

Fehler beim Export in: /users/me/desktop/xxx.pdf and no further information and it can not depend on disk space.

System: macOS Catalina, Version 10.15.5 about 123 GB disk free

affinity publisher 1.8.3

• 3 months later...
On 6/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, Christian Kiki de Rossi said:

I have the same problem with the pdf-export and I deleted all unused fonts the old font agent and font explorer....but always I got the same error message:

Fehler beim Export in: /users/me/desktop/xxx.pdf and no further information and it can not depend on disk space.

Actually, I really can't imagine that a font on your system that's not actually used at all in the document will cause these problems.

BTW: In the export dialog there's that line "Calculating:..." (the output file's size) – this most likely won't show a result (prior to actually comitting the export) when there's a problem coming up.

After encountering that error message myself today for the first time I followed the advice (found in the forum) to convert suspicious text elements to curves. This immediately worked and PDF export was possible again –  luckily there was very little text in that document. If it had been a complex document with lots of text using different fonts this might have become a severe pain in the –bleep–, though...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.