Jugibur

Individual Brushes lost after crash

I have made some special brushes (own settings and textures).

Now the app crashed suddenly (I was painting) and sadly the last settings and textures wasn't saved.
Is this a bug or what I have to do to just save my created brushes inside the app (not export them)?

EDIT:

Ok, second time now: Crashed while doing "dynamics" settings. Have recreated the brush before. Now the settings still there but the textures gone again :-/

I'm using the newest version and an iPad 12.9" with iOS 12.1.1

Edited by Jugibur

Hi Gabe,

the crashing never happend until now.

But after a few tests, *sometimes* the settings and additional textures are not saved / not loaded of my individual category.

It is hard to reproduce – I think it happens due memory problems, because it seems more often with larger canvas sizes.

5 minutes ago, Jugibur said:

But after a few tests, *sometimes* the settings and additional textures are not saved / not loaded of my individual category.

If you can give us some steps to replicate this, we can look into the issue further :)

Strange things going on with my brushes – yesterday the following happend:

- I've closed the app, then later, I opened it again.
- In all my individual brush categories now are the same brushes (I've saved 6 differend/modified versions in the last days)
- The last modified 3-4 brushes lost all their settings, one brush also my additional textures. Only the first texture is remained.

Re-importing my saved brushes doesn't bring me my settings or textures back!
I was in belief that my exported brushes left touched – why is the app modifing my exported brushes?
Or perhaps the settings are already there (in the files) but couldn't be loaded?

My canvas size in the last days was 80x40cm (the behavior happend in more than one document)

Attached my last saved brush set with my special textures (24-bit PNGs)

Perhaps the programmers can look into the brush set file if the settings + textures are saved and the app just haven't read them correctly.

Brushset-with-textures.zip

Now, after updating to the newest version of Affinity photo, all settings and textures of the last brushes in my own category/set lost again – very frustrating...

I’ve just lost my entire collection of purchased raster brushes and also ones I’ve spent weeks creating. I’m working on a new iPad Pro with affinity designers latest build as of today. I have a book I’m illustrating and need the brush sets back. There only seems to be the default brushes. I’ve restarted iPad but still the same, no custom brushes. If someone could help I’d appreciate it. 

If you have access to the purchased brushes you can reinstall them. With the brushes that you created, did you export and save a copy of them? If yes, reinstall. If no, I think you are out of luck. As with all things iOS, apps have a sandbox they work in that cannot be accessed by other apps. If it gets corrupted there is no way I know of to fix/access sandboxed files. Since going to iOS I use Readdle Documents app to set up folders for backing up all things like affinity files so I can reload them if the app crashes. 

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Thanks for the response DM1. No I didn’t back them up as I didn’t see a way to. It was weeks of work creating them too. Very specific for the book I’m doing. Pretty devastated. Oh well. Thanks for the tip on Readdle documents. I’ll look into it and a way to back up my custom brushes. 

The app app has been crashing quite a bit lately at different stages too. Randomly. It’s a new system update and a new iPad Pro. Hoping we get an update on Affinity Designer iOS soon. Really depending on it for projects. 

@Mhoyle When exporting or saving from menus, Files app opens and Documents is available as a destination. You can create Folders and sub folders in Documents which is very handy. Documents is the ‘Swiss Army knife' of apps. It does everything well.

Here is how to save your brushes:

27F1AE27-7E03-4E24-8D62-2F0AA67ED108.jpeg

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45