You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to set a 0 bleed on document spine?

Hi there,

I've a 72 page book (set up in single pages) that requires a 3mm bleed on all sides except the spine side of each page which needs to be 0mm. So effectively the 0mm bleed should alternate every second page from left to right. How can I do this?

BTW first time using AP and I'm very impressed!

Many thanks, Kevin

Obviously bleed is a document property, none of pages. So it is not possible.

I see various workarounds but I'd contact the printer first to hear the aim for that bleed request. May be you can fulfill the request in a different way, or even convince him that you know what to do and deliver your file with usual bleeds.

Technically I can't imagine any use in the request for single pages + different bleeds:
• either it gets printed on a paper in same size like the result, then there is no need for bleed at all.
• or it gets printed on a larger sheet, so it has to get cut anyway.

The contact and information from printer might help to choose a workaround method:

a.) Export a PDF with bleed and crop the unwanted bleed afterwards in Acrobat, which enables you to crop on even/odd pages only.

b.) Increase the page size with the requested bleed. Use 2 master pages with different margins.

c.)  1. Export 2 PDFs: one with all even pages only and bleed to the right, the other with odd and bleed left only.
       2. Merge these 2 PDFs to 1 and rearrange the pages.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I don't think it's possible, and it's a bit weird requirement, because your printer should be able to set the gutter when imposing pages and get rid of bleed on spine.
Maybe you should change the printer?

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

I know that this is not the norm but these printers belong to my client so have no choice. 

Fixx has pointed out that the option is available when creating a new document, but if you keep the default setting (bleeds on all sides the same) then that option is no longer available as you work on the document. Now I'm just going to create a new document with all the correct settings + pages and just copy and paste the content.

Thanks for the help.

Kev.

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 11.19.27 am.png

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

So why not set it up like this:

Perfect!

26 minutes ago, aux1design said:

Fixx has pointed out that the option is available when creating a new document, but if you keep the default setting (bleeds on all sides the same) then that option is no longer available as you work on the document.

No. It is available in "Document Setup..." In menu "File" at any time of your work process, – and in menu bar, with no object selected.

385326479_bleed1documentsetup.jpg.7a40992e20fd6662c49ed8be296814ec.jpg          1072460709_bleed2documentsetup.jpg.7e71ef0d062aa685e08901adfce44299.jpg

For Export make shure to select pages, not spreads.

1783916312_bleed3exportsinglepagesnotspreads.jpg.3ef4d5b94a45dc6b497d0bd912962269.jpg

This way you'll get single pages with 0 bleed in spine edges.

42 minutes ago, aux1design said:

...on the screen grab the Inner Bleed then becomes Left Bleed.

Not if you follow Fixx's hint to set your document to facing pages. This way it turns from left/right to inner/outer. 

Regardless of a facing pages document setting you may export as single pages.