You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

When I try to type some words using quotes the Affinity Publisher is opening and closing quotes by itself. Below some examples of what I mean:

The right word: Relatório
What I got: Relat'ório

The right sentence: "Opening and closing quotes"
What I got: “öpening and closing quotes

It's happening only with simple and double quotes. I made a search to find if there's some setting wrong but I didn't find that.

Publisher version: 1.7.206
MacOS HighSierra 10.13.6

Best Regards,

Anderson

I'm on Windows, not Mac, but if I were using the US International keyboard I would use 'o to get ó and "o to get ö.

That leads me to wonder whether something like that might be how you type accented characters, and if somehow Publisher is misinterpreting those multi-keystroke sequences.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The handling seems correct to me in Publisher 1.7.0.206, but again that's on Windows and we've seen a number of bugs on Mac that don't hit Windows.

But I'll offer another possibility, based on personal experience. I generally only enable Windows US International keyboard when I specifically need to type one (or a few) of the accented characters. For normal typing I use the US English keyboard.

Reason: Because I'm always surprised when I type ' or " and it doesn't appear immediately. My tendency at that point is to think I didn't strike the key properly, and to type another ' or " but at that point I get two of the character, rather than the one I wanted. The proper way, of course, to type a single ' or " with that keyboard is to type the character and a space.

Perhaps something similar to that is happening to you, too? (Though it's odd that it would happen only in Publisher, and not Photo or Designer. Have you tried it in the 1.7 beta versions of Photo and Designer?)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @walt.farrell,

I'll try Photo and Designer 1.7 beta, I didn't yet.

I think there's something wrong with the Publisher in this case because I'm used to typing a lot ' or " because I write in Portuguese about 70% of time, and we use too many characters like ã,ç,ó,é...And, if I type i.e: ação in Publisher, that ' character plus c to result in ç goes wrong and the ã goes right like that: a’ção
:4_joy: 
(that's funny, not good but funny)

Anyway, I'll try beta versions of Photo and Designer.

Thanks a lot!!!

Anderson  

Just a guess: You might check in system preferences > keyboard if your wanted keyboard language is still selected. Then, in keyboard overview, you might look up where the expected glyphs will appear.

( If I switch to Portugues keyboard then at the ´ key the + symbol appears, if I select Brasilian then it is the = symbol. )

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's not a keyboard layout problem, because I only use US International keyboard and I don't have another language installed.

I try Affinity Photo Beta and I didn't have the same problem. 

In macOS, if I type something like this: "there's something wrong with Publisher"
I'll got something like that:  “”there’’s something wrong with Publisher””

It seems like Publisher is auto-closing the quotes by itself. If I type double quotes "and press space, the result would be like ". But in Publisher the result is "". With the single quotes the same, if I type ' and space, in Publisher I will have ''.

I look for an option in Publisher to disable auto-close quotes, but I didn't find anything like that.

Thank you Guys!

Anderson

Hi @Mark Oehlschlager

Sorry, but the way you try to reproduce the error is not the usual way of typing when you have the keyboard layout as the attachment.

All the programs give me the same result when I type " + space + sentence + " + space. But Publisher beta not. If it's not a specific setting on Publisher, so that's a bug.

Thanks!

Anderson

error-publisher.png

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.