ChrisSmere

Symbols and Synchronisation

Hey!

First off all I am not sure whether this is a bug or I simply do not get the symbol concept in AD.

My problem is as follows:

+) I create a symbol - getting my first instance of it.

+) I copy (or duplicate with the ALT key and dragging) the first instance dozens of times in the document. Sometimes I drag them also in from the Symbol panel.

+) All instances are labelled correctly as symbols in the Layer panel.

+) So far so good. That works fine.

+) Later on I want to change let's say the color or the stroke or both of the symbol in general. So I do it in the Layers panel to one of the instances as to my understanding all the others should update accordingly. And it happens sometimes that changes do not apply to all of the other instances of the symbol - only a few update the rest remains in the old state. Sometimes only a handful update and all the others seem to be detached from the parent (symbol) at all - still being labelled als symbols and me not having them detached at all.

+) The strange thing is that it does not happen in all my documents. For me it's like gambling: in some files the symbols behave as expected, in some others not. And I cannot get behind the why or when.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Hi @ChrisSmere,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

When you duplicate, do you duplicate the parent symbol: image.png

or the child within that symbol? image.png

If you want to sync all the changes, you have to duplicate the Symbol(parent) and not its contents. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi @GabrielM!

Thanks for the reply!

Whenever I duplicate I do duplicate the parent (symbol) itsself.

And if I want to change something for the symbol in general I do edit one of the children. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it works only for a few parents.

If it helps I will provide a file next time it happens. Would that be more helpful?

Regards,
Chris

Yes, that would be really helpful. Also, when it stops working, you should notice a dashed line on the symbol that does not sync. Hover your mouse over and see what attributes are no linked.

image.png

Thanks for that hint. Now I understand what the color dashes/lines mean.

I've reviewed an old file with sync problems and it looks like that:
image.png.589cd26949364fbf6f120f44c68fa2c6.png

Some of them on the other hand look like this:
image.png.e623f317bdde7d03c46c65fc09f598bc.png

I've never turned off the Sync in the Symbols panel.

How can I link/connect/synchronize it again?

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

I'm afraid you cannot re-sync it. Once an attribute is unlinked, it remains unlinked. The only option would be to delete the symbol and insert a new one. 

I see ... and as I do not know why some of them got unlinked and some not I do not use symbols anymore. Unfortunately it's unpredictable for me what symbols are doing - if I now see that it's unlinked it is already too late.

Hopefully there will be an improvement on that issue in the next time :-)

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

It's hard to see what went wrong as the symbols do not retain that information. It would be something that made them un-synced. You can try out the beta and see how it goes. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/

Actually, this issue persists. The one file from above I mentioned (screenshots) is made with the beta.

Thank you anyway for your effort =) so I can only hope that it'll get fixed in the future ...

Just chiming in to say this happens to me sometimes too and is pretty painful when I have a large number of symbol instances.

What might solve the problem is that when working with Symbols and performing an action that breaks a synced attibute a brief UI prompt to say:

'Performing this action will affect the synced attribute of this symbol.....[Continue] or [Cancel]'.

This way at least the user is aware that a Symbol will break as a result of the action and can decide accordingly.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, simonlayfield said:

'Performing this action will affect the synced attribute of this symbol.....[Continue] or [Cancel]'.

That would be nice. I agree. A "Resync all" would be nice too.

Let's see what the next stable version will bring us regarding symbols.