You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.0.106)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download DMG: Download

Auto-update: Available.

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the latest beta of Affinity Photo 1.7 for macOS.

Photo 1.7 is a (very) significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version, so, as ever, I would strongly urge users to avoid the 1.7 beta for critical work. This is especially true as this is only an early build of 1.7 - we will release many more builds before 1.7 ships. Things will be broken in this build - please use it to explore the new features and not for real work.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

It’s also worth noting that we aren’t done yet - we are still working through reported bugs from previous releases and hope to fix as many as possible before the final release of 1.7.

With all that said, we hope that you will enjoy the new capabilities introduced in this release and we look forward to any and all feedback you give to us.

Many thanks (as always),

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes This Build

- Significant improvements to selection refinement.
- More tools will now rasterise non-pixel layers on use.
- Fixed histogram statistics (was including alpha channel in calculations incorrectly).
- Improved TIFF import support.
- Fixed some localisation issues on the Glyph Browser panel.
- Small UI alignment tweaks.
- Fallback to 96dpi for imported JPEG, PNG - not 72.
- Fixed mesh warp blurry issues when Metal disabled.
- Fixed Metal implementation of Diffuse Glow.
- Fixed some PSDs which would not import due to path issues.
- Fixed CMYK rendering (again) when Metal is enabled (blacks would go weird).
- Attempt to fix the odd black square appearing in the view.
- Further improved Scale / Rotate stacking alignment.
- Fixed orientation issues with some panoramas (upside down).
- Reduce file sizes by discarding old snapshots properly.
- Fixed recording of resize document sampler method in macros.
- Fixed recording of paint mixer brush in macros.
- We now use Ctrl+number to change flow in the brush tools - not Cmd. This fixes Cmd-0 zoom etc.
- Fixed resize document issues with layer effect scales.
- Fixed liquify tool auto-commit issue when switching persona.
- Crop tool Touch Bar fixes.
- Assorted small fixes.
- Help improvements.

Changes In Previous 1.7 Beta Builds

- Hide / Show / Show All Layers options in layers menu.
- Remove new destructive modes from crop tool (for now - will revisit).
- Fixed crash when RAW contains malformed GPS data.
- Fixed levels adjustment alerts.
- Fixed 32bit issues with Soft Light blend mode.
- Fixed flood fill bugs when colour is not opaque.
- Fixed various TIFF files which tried to load into develop persona.
- Fixed Voronoi bug if image has alpha channel.
- Allow Cmd key to be held when typing numbers in a brush tool (will change flow instead of opacity).
- Fixed remaining LUT export bugs.
- Small memory management improvements.
- Fixed red-eye correction in develop.
- Develop noise reduction performance improvements.
- Improved visibility of selected hue range in HSL UI in light mode.
- Fixed issues where sub-brushes could get reset.
- Sub-brush spacing / size sync buttons work properly.
- Dark / light UI improvements in brush editor panel.
- Fixed more Radeon R9 issues.
- Fixed more CMYK issues.
- Fixed some PDF import bugs.
- Numerous other small fixes.
- Help improvements.

- The crop tool now defaults to the old behaviour (destructive).
- Added lens correction data for more cameras.
- More double click support for resetting adjustment sliders.
- Further HSL improvements in 32bit mode.
- Fixed issues when using Edit -> Fill with a transparent colour.
- Fixed issues exporting HDR files when some pixels have negative values.
- Fixed TIFF ZIP compression issues.
- Fixed a sporadic crash when exporting PSD.
- Fixed lens correction for Panasonic DMC-TZ60.
- Fixed orientation of RAW images during HDR merge.
- Fixed noise reduction in non-RGB documents.
- Fixed scale + rotate alignment mode in stacking.
- Reduce develop memory usage and further improve loading speed.
- Fixed recolour adjustment slider colour issue.
- Fixed displacement map “load from beneath” sometimes including the current layer.
- Fixed CMYK rendering on Radeon R9 GPUs.
- Fixed motion blur etc. disappearing in 16bit documents with Metal enabled.
- Fixed equation transforms not working in macros.

- Fixed incorrect RGB / BGR / Red-major-order export of LUTS.
- Ability to either rasterise or rasterise and trim a layer. Previously recorded macros will trim.
- Fixed issues when parsing autofocus rectangles in RAW develop.
- Show which autofocus rectangles were in focus and which were selected by the camera (yellow, green respectively).
- Fixed inability to open photos from Apple Photos from file -> open. Now correctly asks for permission.
- Threshold adjustment will always present an intensity histogram.
- Improved histograms on curves and levels adjustments.
- Fixed LAB issues with edge detection filters.
- Switching between adjustments and filters will close any existing panels accordingly.
- Fixed incorrect ability to drag a locked layer when there is no layer selection.
- Fixed loading of 8/16bit images with linear RGB profiles.
- Can now double-click most sliders in adjustments UI to reset the individual parameter.
- Make it obvious which nozzle is selected in the brush editor UI.
- Other small fixes.

- Improved Metal stability / performance with large documents.
- Fixed a number of dark mode issues.
- Fixed preview glitches in split preview mode for filters / develop.
- Fixed batch processor not obeying dimensions correctly.
- Improved Procedural Texture UI in light mode.
- Allow brush rotate / size key changes while dragging.
- Numerous text engine improvements.
- Fixed cursor issues with HSL and other adjustments.
- Fixed issues with some menu shortcut keys.
- Improved PDF export.
- Improved localisations.

- Fixed CMYK rendering when using Metal.
- Fixed loading of huge JPEG files.
- Added “Alpha Similarity” to Select Sampled Colour tool.
- Fixed a number of crash bugs in the adjustment panel.
- Fixed issues with some existing user documents crashing in 1.7.
- Assorted other fixes.

- Show the Curves / Levels histogram in the correct colour space.
- Fixed some GPU memory management issues.
- A further attempt to fix the HSL UI crash.
- Improve performance on Intel Iris Pro GPUs.
- Improved help.

- Fixed hardware acceleration issues on certain iMac devices.
- Fixed a number of brush bugs.
- Fixed hang in HDR merge with GPU enabled.
- Fixed HSL adjustment UI crash,
- Fixed Procedural Texture UI issues when switching from dark to light UI.
- Fixed Curves adjustment clamping issue when GPU is enabled.
- Fixed 3DLUT adjustments when GPU is enabled.
- Fixed issues with sub-brush UI.

- Added pixabay.com to Stock panel.

- New welcome screen graphics.
- New persona icon graphics.
- New splash screen.

Changes Since 1.6 Release

Performance

- The core processing engine in Affinity Photo has been rewritten to take advantage of the powerful discrete AMD GPUs in modern Mac hardware. It will now automatically use any compatible discrete GPU, alongside the Intel GPU support present in 1.6. Typically this improves compositing / editing performance by at least 1000%. Performance when using integrated Intel GPUs has also been massively improved.

- External GPUs (eGPU) are also supported - including hot-plug-and-unplug support.

- Multiple GPUs are supported - if you have more than 1 GPU (ie. Intel + AMD in MacBook Pro, or Intel + eGPU in other Macs) Photo will use them all, at the same time, to improve performance. There is no limit to the number of GPUs which can be used.

Brushes

- Photo 1.7 introduces a new “sub-brush” mechanism, developed in conjunction with Paolo Limoncelli (DAUB® Brushes). This exciting feature allows any brush to have a list of other brushes attached which will draw at the same time. Each sub-brush has a fully separate and customisable set of dynamics. You can control when the sub-brushes are drawn and how they blend with the main brush.

- The brush engine in Photo has been rewritten to use the new GPU architecture described above. With GPU support, even huge brushes with 1% spacing will perform well. All brushes / brush tools are accelerated.

- Symmetry (up to 32-way) is now supported - including on-canvas controls and optional mirroring. We have more symmetry features on the way - so stay tuned during the beta process.

- Wet edges and accumulation are now available on colour brushes and brushes with HSL variance.

- Brushes with multiple nozzle textures have always chosen the nozzle at random. In 1.7, the nozzle choice has a dynamic controller and ramp for greater control.

- All brush tools now support left and right arrow keys for rotation - a common feature request ;)

RAW

- The RAW processing engine in Photo has been rewritten - producing better results and improved performance. It also takes advantage of the GPU architecture changes described above.

- RAW files now load much more quickly - especially if you have a compatible GPU.

- Reimplemented support for XTrans sensors.

- The denoise algorithm has been rewritten. It produces better results and takes advantage of the new GPU architecture.

- Hot pixel removal is now automatically performed by the Serif Labs engine.

- Profiled lens correction are more stable, apply more quickly, and can be toggled in the Develop UI.

- The histogram in the Develop persona is now presented in the output colour space - as opposed to always being linear.

Filters

- New “Procedural Texture” filter with advanced presets support.

- New “Voronoi” filter.

- Denoise, Clarity and Shadows / Highlights filters have been rewritten (using technology from the Develop Persona).

- More filters are now available as Live Filters - including the new Procedural Texture filter.

- Live filters have been rewritten to improve performance - especially when multiple filters are used in a document.

- Improved Polar to Rectangular and Rectangular to Polar filters.

Adjustments

- The HSL adjustment layer has been rewritten. It now supports custom hue ranges, a new algorithm, new UI and picker controls.

- The Levels adjustment layer now supports output levels - a common feature request.

- The White Balance adjustment layer has been rewritten.

- The Selective Colour adjustment layer has been rewritten.

- PSD import / export of adjustments has been improved.

- The Vibrance adjustment layer has been rewritten.

- The Recolour adjustment layer has gained a lightness slider.

Tools

- The Crop tool has been rewritten - it now supports resolution changes, absolute pixel size and has a much improved preset mechanism.

- The Sponge Brush tool now gives more correct / pleasant results.

- A general tools overhaul has been performed - providing editing of grids, guides, page origin, across multiple tools (not just in the Move tool)

General

- “Alternate futures” for document history have been added. Traditionally, if you roll back the undo history then do something else all your changes after that point are lost. Photo will now display a small branch icon in the history tab when you do this. Pressing that button will cycle between all the different “futures” after that history entry - meaning you will never lose work you have done.

- HEIF images can now be loaded directly into Photo. If they contain a depth map, this will also be loaded as a second layer. Because depth maps are typically lower resolution than the main image, optional “smart” upsampling will be performed.

- A large number of new cameras are supported for RAW development (we will provide a list of the new supported cameras as soon as possible!).

- The batch process dialog now fully supports expressions for height and width - available constants are “w”, “h” and “dpi”.

- Photo now supports custom document presets - a popular feature request.

- A new blend mode - Linear Burn - has been added.

- New “Move inside / outside” commands have been added - useful for quick operations on clipping masks etc.

- The Hard Mix blend mode has been improved.

- New provider options have been added to the stock panel - support for Unsplash and Pexels. Both of these providers offer full-resolution stock imagery which is free to use.

- Metadata is now dynamically synchronised with your document - so if you resize then export, the values will be correct.

- Numerous text improvements have been made - including new features.

- Significant PDF import / export improvements and fixes.

- Numerous other bug fixes - too many to list!

Hello @Andy Somerfield I'm happy for this new update.
Will download and revert here if i find anything that requires attention.

Blessing !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Although it is not specific to this build or just to the betas, something I have always wondered about is why is this checkbox enabled on my iMac, which does not have an integrated GPU, & why does ticking or unticking it require a restart, since (AFAIK) it doesn't actually change anything in how the app performs?

1336072735_performanceprefsAPH.jpg.82a4a72a984b6130cb12c8512eb706bb.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot, the Hardware Acceleration checkbox is greyed out, which is expected because my iMac's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M is not supported for Metal compute acceleration. According to the System Report app, my GPU does support Metal for "feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3" (whatever that is supposed to mean) but as I understand it that has nothing to do with Metal compute acceleration.

Anyway, why isn't the integrated GPU checkbox greyed out like hardware acceleration one? For that matter, why is it preceded with "Display" with a colon, unlike any other checkbox in the preferences, & what does it refer to that the text following the checkbox already make perfectly clear?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Dither Gradients and Use Precise Clipping are both preceded by "View Quality:"

OK, but "View Quality:" obviously pertains to the two popup choices for that, not to the two checkboxes below it. Besides, none of the checkboxes in the General, Color, User Interface, or Tools sections are preceded by any text, with or without a colon. "Display:" & Hardware Acceleration:" are the only ones that do, so I think it is reasonable to ask why that is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, >|< said:

No, "View Quality:" obviously pertains to the popup list of resampling options and the two checkboxes for dithered gradient and precise clipping options. The use of indentation makes the grouping obvious.

Then why does the help topic say this?

• View Quality—choose the way in which the image displays during modifications. Select from the pop-up menu.
  • Choose whether to dither gradients, when working on projects, to speed up performance.
  • Choose a clipping option for optimizing performance.

If it was meant to pertain to the checkboxes as well, why are three unindented bullet points instead of just one? Why does the first one specifically say to select from the pop-up menu?

If nothing else, it does not seem consistent with how in the help topic Retina Rendering indents the pop-up menu choices with open bullets:

• Retina Rendering—choose your rendering experience. Select from the pop-up menu.
    • Automatic (Best)—renders as non-retina followed by retina for balanced performance and quality.
    • Low quality (Fastest)—renders as non-retina only for highest performance level but compromises on quality.
    • High quality (Slowest)—renders as retina only for high quality but may compromise performance.

Affinity Photo 

On 12/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, R C-R said:

Although it is not specific to this build or just to the betas, something I have always wondered about is why is this checkbox enabled on my iMac, which does not have an integrated GPU, & why does ticking or unticking it require a restart, since (AFAIK) it doesn't actually change anything in how the app performs?

1336072735_performanceprefsAPH.jpg.82a4a72a984b6130cb12c8512eb706bb.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot, the Hardware Acceleration checkbox is greyed out, which is expected because my iMac's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M is not supported for Metal compute acceleration. According to the System Report app, my GPU does support Metal for "feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3" (whatever that is supposed to mean) but as I understand it that has nothing to do with Metal compute acceleration.

Anyway, why isn't the integrated GPU checkbox greyed out like hardware acceleration one? For that matter, why is it preceded with "Display" with a colon, unlike any other checkbox in the preferences, & what does it refer to that the text following the checkbox already make perfectly clear?

Every intel CPU has integrated GPU built in

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

4 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Every intel CPU has integrated GPU built in

Not according to this Apple article.

About shared memory

Some Intel-based Mac computers feature both an integrated and a discrete Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). Others may feature only one GPU, which can be either an integrated or discrete GPU. 

Affinity Photo 

I stand corrected. I haven't owned an iMac in 10 years, only MacBook Pros. I wasn't aware about the non-GPU intel CPUs... but it makes sense for desktops which don't have the same energy / battery restrictions as laptops. Thanks for the insight!

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Not according to this Apple article.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hi, I bought affinity photo on the MAS (so I don't have a licence code available). I would like to install the beta without having to install the old stable version from the MAS. How do i retrieve the licence code and copy paste it into the licence prompt on beta launch ? thanks

54 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Hi, I bought affinity photo on the MAS (so I don't have a licence code available). I would like to install the beta without having to install the old stable version from the MAS. How do i retrieve the licence code and copy paste it into the licence prompt on beta launch ? thanks

Affinity applications purchased from the MAS don't have a license code. You must have the stable version installed in order to run the beta.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for replying ; my corollary question therefore is how do I convert my MAS licence into a standalone one ? I is kind of silly having 2 version of a >1gb program installed if it's to only use one of them. I like using bleeding edge and reporting bugs to help further development.

19 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Thanks for replying ; my corollary question therefore is how do I convert my MAS licence into a standalone one ? I is kind of silly having 2 version of a >1gb program installed if it's to only use one of them. I like using bleeding edge and reporting bugs to help further development.

I'm afraid that's not possible. If you purchased from the MAS recently enough you might be able to remove the program from your system and get a refund, then repurchase from Affinity directly. I don't know what the MAS return policies are, and in any case you would need to handle that with them, not with Serif/Affinity as the sales systems are totally separate.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

25 minutes ago, sashimi said:

my corollary question therefore is how do I convert my MAS licence into a standalone one ?

All MAS purchases are already 'standalone' versions; they just don't require a license key like the Mac Affinity ones bought from the Affinity store because the MAS ones are keyed to the Apple ID used to buy it.

The Affinity Photo betas are customer betas, meaning you must have a retail version (from either store) installed to run them. They are betas because they are not yet bug free enough to use for critical work (like it says in the first post of this topic); for that you should use the installed retail version.

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

All MAS purchases are already 'standalone' versions; they just don't require a license key like the Mac Affinity ones bought from the Affinity store because the MAS ones are keyed to the Apple ID used to buy it.

The Affinity Photo betas are customer betas, meaning you must have a retail version (from either store) installed to run them. They are betas because they are not yet bug free enough to use for production work; for that you should use the installed retail version.

Oh right, when I tried to install the beta, it only asked for the licence key, didn't seem to ask for the actual stable version to be installed. 

1 minute ago, sashimi said:

Oh right, when I tried to install the beta, it only asked for the licence key, didn't seem to ask for the actual stable version to be installed. 

AFAIK, you must have the retail version installed to run the beta. If you bought it from the MAS, you should not be asked to provide a license key, unless possibly you moved the retail version out of the top level Applications folder where MAS apps are installed automatically, but even that seems unlikely.

Are you sure it asked for a license key when you tried to run it?

Affinity Photo 

26 minutes ago, >|< said:

Yes it does if it cannot locate a licensed retail version (either a MAS version or one from the Serif store). You could have tested that for yourself by temporarily renaming your retail version and then launching the beta.

The message I get when I do that says I need to enter a valid product key or I can install the beta from the Mac App Store:
1038040857_installwarning.jpg.d5bb69ba35baab0c7e9807df09e1bffa.jpg

However, we know from the first post by @Andy Somerfield that the customer beta has not been not submitted to the Mac App Store so there is no way to install it from there, & since @sashimi presumably has the MAS version installed (otherwise, why ask about converting it?), I just wanted to keep things simple & make sure the message on that Mac did not say the only way to participate was to enter a valid product key.

In retrospect, I see that I could have worded it better, but at the time (& before my first cup of coffee kicked in) it seemed OK. Sorry for any (extra) confusion that might have caused.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

@sashimi presumably has the MAS version installed (otherwise, why ask about converting it?),

No. @sashimi has purchased it  but does not want to have both installed.

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No. @sashimi has purchased it  but does not want to have both installed.

Unless it was purchased on another Mac or it was uninstalled after purchase (or possibly the install process was aborted) it had to be installed on the Mac because the install happens automatically when you purchase an app from the MAS. That is what makes MAS apps a 'one click' process.

Affinity Photo 

Okay this beta is really good but ... something small that i feel is a bug.
* Create a mask layer 
* invert the mask with ctrl+i / cmd+i 
* the mask keeps its color (white ....)

it is confusing because a created mask should display white fill (as in reveal state) and display a black fill (as in conceal) when inverted.
have anyone noticed it yet ?

i know it turns the opposite color when you paint with the brush on it but once again i should be able to see long time before i paint on it if it is a normal or an inverted mask.
Please team, fix when you can.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.