You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask not visible When used on a filter

If I am applying "high pass filter" and want to mask certain content from the effect of the filter, I invert the mask but the Icon of the filter does not "black out" when I apply "Invert" by presing "Ctrl+I" , however the effect of inversion is visible on the picture. Now If I pick the white brush and paint some areas to reveal the effect of the mask ... nothing happens.

What is going wrong here?

Snapshot of applied filter, brush color icon and Brush selected attached as JPEG files

Mask error.JPG

Brush Colour.JPG

Brush.JPG

Maybe if you explained what you are doing we can help you more?

Why don't you use the frequency separation filter, if you just apply a high pass filter to the original image with no editing of the original image what you are effectively doing is creating an unsharp mask of sorts.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Rishi,

Welcome to the forums :)

8 hours ago, Rishi said:

I invert the mask but the Icon of the filter does not "black out" when I apply "Invert" by presing "Ctrl+I" , however the effect of inversion is visible on the picture

This is an issue we're aware of and has already been logged with our developers, the thumbnail preview does not update until another change is made in the layers panel, such as adding a mask or a new layer.

8 hours ago, Rishi said:

Now If I pick the white brush and paint some areas to reveal the effect of the mask ... nothing happens.

As HVDB has mentioned above, please check which brush you're using and that all of it's settings are correct. You may have your opacity set to 0% for the brush etc.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan CHas this been fixed in the 1.7.x beta?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Not yet, but hopefully the fix will come before release!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 2:55 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Rishi,

This is an issue we're aware of and has already been logged with our developers, the thumbnail preview does not update until another change is made in the layers panel, such as adding a mask or a new layer.

As HVDB has mentioned above, please check which brush you're using and that all of it's settings are correct. You may have your opacity set to 0% for the brush etc.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:55 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Rishi,

On 12/29/2018 at 1:00 PM, Rishi said:

My Mistake, Opacity and flow was set very low :(

Thanks for letting us know @Rishi Kudos to HVDB.

• 3 weeks later...