You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Well ! i'm back with this other which i believe will help us all.

Personally i like the way Serif made it cross-edit between all 3 piece of software but ... because there is always a but !
i Think the way it was and is managed is a bit counter productive or maybe not at its fullness.
let me explain !

Here when you have a file opened on APub and want to do some work on it with ADesigner you can Edit with Designer then the whole project is transferred there leaving APub empty of everything but sometime we only want to edit a precise thing such as a smart shape etc... thus making the transfer of the whole project to ADesigner a kind of ... What if Serif could make it possible for us Click on the Object we want to edit and :

1- Right click on it then chose Edit with : Photo or Designer (depending of what we may want to achieve)
2- After selecting the desired object, we can also click the related persona (place where we want to edit) then have that precise thing migrated there for its edit
3- Should be the option we currently have, if we select nothing but click on one of the persona or chose to Edit with ... then whole project get migrated there for its further edit leaving APub Blank.

The first 2 options should leave the core project opened in APub then only we should be able to edit the select object then click save to get its edit saved as an update withing the already opened and not closed project withing APub.
The we can chose to edit only a part of the project without leaving the main tool we use and see the updates in real-time.
Well, more geared peoples can add to this idea and help make this get better.

Blessing !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Well the overall problem for implementing this (1 + 2) is to have a clever and foolproof transfer/change/update mechanism, which isn't that easy to handle from a programmatic viewpoint here for single objects. Since sharing and editing single objects with keeping their whole attributes (vectors, pixel, position, size, colors, filters, masks ... etc.) would probably need to be handled on a sort of referenced/shared object layer base here as a common denominator between the apps. Meaning an "Edit with" here would have to transfer the corresponding objects layer between the apps in some locked/released and changed/update way.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Specifically talking about Publisher, I think (but can't be sure) that the intended method of just working on one object on the publisher page will probably be to switch to the Photo or Designer Persona, using the persona buttons (which are currently inactive).

A bigger problem with Edit with Photo (or Designer) from Publisher, if I remember my prior tests correctly, is that Photo and Designer can't navigate between Publisher pages. So once you get to Photo or Designer, you have one page visible. I don't remember which one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 12:14 AM, Uncle Mez said:

Well ! i'm back with this other which i believe will help us all.

Personally i like the way Serif made it cross-edit between all 3 piece of software but ... because there is always a but !
i Think the way it was and is managed is a bit counter productive or maybe not at its fullness.
let me explain !

Here when you have a file opened on APub and want to do some work on it with ADesigner you can Edit with Designer then the whole project is transferred there leaving APub empty of everything but sometime we only want to edit a precise thing such as a smart shape etc... thus making the transfer of the whole project to ADesigner a kind of ... What if Serif could make it possible for us Click on the Object we want to edit and :

1- Right click on it then chose Edit with : Photo or Designer (depending of what we may want to achieve)
2- After selecting the desired object, we can also click the related persona (place where we want to edit) then have that precise thing migrated there for its edit
3- Should be the option we currently have, if we select nothing but click on one of the persona or chose to Edit with ... then whole project get migrated there for its further edit leaving APub Blank.

The first 2 options should leave the core project opened in APub then only we should be able to edit the select object then click save to get its edit saved as an update withing the already opened and not closed project withing APub.
The we can chose to edit only a part of the project without leaving the main tool we use and see the updates in real-time.
Well, more geared peoples can add to this idea and help make this get better.

Blessing !

I think that Designer and Photo personas, which are in Publisher, will do this. Maybe it will work on seletced item only as on the whole document, too.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)