You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master pages margins

Hello guys!

I got problem with setting different margins for odd and even pages in a two-page master.

I am creating a document which has numbered paragraphs. I made a base style which has increased left margin and negative first line indent. To keep the text centered I have to decrease outter margin on left page and inner margin on a right one.

I theoretically could make a text frame that extends the margin, but then I would have to take care of its correct placement and size.

image.png.1cf94a835a23f2f1d6c8a255920246e1.png

Is it possible in Publisher to set margins per master's page?

Hope my question is clear.

39 minutes ago, SirPL said:

Hello guys!

I got problem with setting different margins for odd and even pages in a two-page master.

I am creating a document which has numbered paragraphs. I made a base style which has increased left margin and negative first line indent. To keep the text centered I have to decrease outter margin on left page and inner margin on a right one.

I theoretically could make a text frame that extends the margin, but then I would have to take care of its correct placement and size.

image.png.1cf94a835a23f2f1d6c8a255920246e1.png

Is it possible in Publisher to set margins per master's page?

Hope my question is clear.

I think the easiest way would be to place guides on the master page to achieve an asymmetrical layout. I mean a vertical guide where the text frames left border is supposed to be located.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

I think the easiest way would be to place guides on the master page to achieve an asymmetrical layout. I mean a vertical guide where the text frames left border is supposed to be located.

d.

Am I looking at the same thing?   Is SirPL trying to create a document with facing pages for duplex printing?    If so, here is how I set up my master pages, and the margins hold for every document page.    No need to use guides and then draw text frames.    Possibly I don't understand, because  otherwise, if SirPL wants each page to have the exact same layout as his example shows, wouldn't it be easiest to have a single Master Page, and then just add pages in his document as single pages, not facing pages?   Anyway, here are shots of what I do.

1571228882_ScreenShot2018-12-13at1_58_03PM.thumb.png.56ac4a75aa9435a39047e0af37749ee1.png707846356_ScreenShot2018-12-13at1_58_27PM.thumb.png.9dd1f72349df8a56ca3e130b59e90318.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

It is possible to have different margins at left and right side pages:

1047889345_Screenshot2018-12-1321_52_42.jpg.85702134153cbea5cc08a31b9f6a0572.jpg

Trick is to set document spread margins first and then adjust master page and apply it only to the other side (or alternatively use two sets of masters). I am not though sure if this is useful as I think you cannot automatically replicate the setup when adding pages. This area in Publisher is a work in progress, I am afraid. You should be able to set left and right page master differently to begin with. Not to mention that text frames do not automatically follow margins as happens in InDesign.

3 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

If so, here is how I set up my master pages, and the margins hold for every document page.    No need to use guides and then draw text frames. 

Hi @jmwellborn,

when I tested this before posting I was not able to create a spread with facing pages that has no symetrical margins (= no inner and outer margins but left and right margin the same on both pages).

This is the reason why I chose to use guides on the master page instead of margins.
I may have missed something.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

This area in Publisher is a work in progress, I am afraid.

This is my impression as well (not complaining). The best approach I have found so far is to use guides. I am aware that this is a temporary workaround.

d.

Would a different way possibly be? :

1. create two (single) master pages and define their different margins

2. create one third spread of two facing pages

3. apply the masters of step 1 accordingly to both pages of the spread. 

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 minutes ago, thomaso said:

A different way would be:

1. create 2 single master pages and define their different margins

2. create one spread of two facing pages

3. apply the masters of step 1 to both pages of the spread. 

Interesting, this seems to work :)

I had to do the following in step 2: in 'Spread Properties > Margins' untick 'Include Margins'.

d.

20 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @jmwellborn,

when I tested this before posting I was not able to create a spread with facing pages that has no symetrical margins (= no inner and outer margins but left and right margin the same on both pages).

This is the reason why I chose to use guides on the master page instead of margins.
I may have missed something.

d.

Now I am confused!!    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

12 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Now I am confused!!    

Hi @jmwellborn,

please take a look at the OP's screenshot in the first post of this thread. What he wants to accomplish is facing pages with assymetrical margins (= two different inner margins).

This is not possible in the spread setup you are showing in your post.

As @thomaso pointed out (see above) it can be accomplished with different master pages but it does not work properly if one adds pages with autoflow.

d.