You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.206

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher build 206 is now available on auto-update and as a manual download from the link above.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Short of major catastrophe this will be our last update until January, so I would like take this opportunity to wish you a Happy Holiday Season and a Happy New Year. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Updates and Fixes

Main View
Some common tools missing shortcuts
Fixed issue setting ruler origin for spreads other than first
Fixed Pen Tool not initially snapping to grid when document opened
Fixed Rotation Centre not snapping to guides
Fixed issue with panels (e.g. Styles) resizing content when scheme changes
(Mac) Fixed special case of Ctrl+V failing as a shortcut
(Win) Basic Grid fails to show 'Spacing' and 'Divisions' entry boxes on Grid and Axis Manager

Loading / Saving
Fixed failure to save if HEIC file is used in document
The term 'Embedded Document' is replace with 'Linked Document' in the UI when appropriate
Fix for Picture Frame Properties defaults not saving correctly

Pages and Document Setup
Added option to switch an existing Master Spread between Single and Facing

Import / Export / Print
Fix for PDFs with different DPI to document DPI importing at the wrong size
(Win) Print max copies increased to 9999 
Pre-print check warns about overflow when text is hidden.
Fix for Crop Marks appearing in document area on Print

Text
Fixed Drag Drop text from Finder / Explorer to drop into existing frame if available
Capitalisation not being set when text frame is selected
Fixed Drop Caps alignment when using Baseline Grid
Fixed Baseline Grid alignment for second page of vertical spread
Fix for linked text frames flipping link order to match z-order when cloned
(Win) Fixed limits on Paragraph Justification settings
(Win) Fix for a new 'Based on' text style not being set up correctly from its base style
Fix for 'No Style' not removing Lists, Drop Caps, Initial Words attributes
Fix for 'Decrease List Level' not always working correctly
(Mac)Removed recently used fonts erroneously placed at top of 'All' section
Fix for Optical Alignment with quotations causing Artistic Text to jump horizontally

Find and Replace
(Mac) Fix for entering comma into Find Field
Fixed tabbing issues in Find and Replace Panel
Implemented better 'Replace All' behaviour

Other Panels
Fixed Assets subcategory order not being remembered after restart
Fix for crash when adding to a Symbol after deleting all the children in a detached instance
Double Click to add Glyph in Glyph Browser could crash if tool was not  active
(Win) Fixed History scrolling with the mouse wheel removed highlight

Resource Manager
Different images are grouped as the same in Resource Manager when opening PDF
Fixed Colour Profile in Resource Manager not updating when image replaced

---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 192

Smooooooth.    And what a nicer 3-D icon!     And fresher colors too!!    And a nicer size!!!   Lovely Christmas surprise!!!!

Thank you, Affinities!   With best wishes to all of you for a happy holiday season.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thank You @AdamW will surely download when i get my system updates done.
Also thank you for sending this link, as i told you earlier the S3 link have less failure than the Store Link ... maybe the second need some optimization before it works okay !
BTW Thanks a lot, will revert asap !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Smooooooth.    And what a nicer 3-D icon!     And fresher colors too!!    And a nicer size!!!   Lovely Christmas surprise!!!!

Thank you, Affinities!   With best wishes to all of you for a happy holiday season.   

I also thought the 3D icon was amazing! It's a subtle effect so I have to wonder if the people who said they prefer the old icon have noticed that. I liked it a lot more when I saw that.

And if I am not vastly mistaken, one can now edit Publisher beta stuff in the Designer beta.    At least that is what happened around here just now.    SURPRISE!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

6 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

And if I am not vastly mistaken, one can now edit Publisher beta stuff in the Designer beta.    At least that is what happened around here just now.    SURPRISE!!!

Are you talking about File > Edit in Designer, or using the Designer Persona button? The former worked in .192 on Windows.

(Note: Unless the Mac Designer beta is different from Windows in this regard, there's a trap built into File > Edit in Designer. It's a one-way street, as there is no File > Edit in Publisher available in Designer beta.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

(Note: Unless the Mac Designer beta is different from Windows in this regard, there's a trap built into File > Edit in Designer. It's a one-way street, as there is no File > Edit in Publisher available in Designer beta.)

I would assume that clicking save in designer/photo will save those changes back to Publisher?

22 minutes ago, KipV said:

Yep, that is how it works. Both with designer and photo. I am not really sure that is a trap because if you make changes they can still be saved back to the other Affinity app(s).

My (possibly incorrect) understanding of Edit in Photo and Edit in Designer (from Designer and Photo respectively) is that one would (say) start in Designer, then issue Edit in Photo, and when done would issue Edit in Designer to go back.

When I've used Edit in Photo from Designer and then done a Save in Photo it wants to save to disk.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My (possibly incorrect) understanding of Edit in Photo and Edit in Designer (from Designer and Photo respectively) is that one would (say) start in Designer, then issue Edit in Photo, and when done would issue Edit in Designer to go back.

When I've used Edit in Photo from Designer and then done a Save in Photo it wants to save to disk.

That is the way Publisher works for me. I go edit in Photo/Designer move one of the photos on the page, click save and when I open the file back up in Publisher the photo appears moved as it was in Photo/Designer.

4 minutes ago, KipV said:

That is the way Publisher works for me. I go edit in Photo/Designer move one of the photos on the page, click save and when I open the file back up in Publisher the photo appears moved as it was in Photo/Designer.

But the "Edit in..." functions stent supposed to require a save, nor a reopen, based on how they work in Photo and Designer today.

Maybe that's how they'll have to work when Publisher is involved (except when the new Persona's are activated). We'll probably have to wait to see.

But thanks for pointing out that there is a way around the problem I pointed out :)

But here's another. I haven't found a way to get access to anything more than (I think) the first page of the document when I use "Edit in..." from Publisher. I think those new Persona's will be needed to allow that 

-- Walt
PC:

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But the "Edit in..." functions stent supposed to require a save, nor a reopen, based on how they work in Photo and Designer today.

Even when you work with a persona you still need to click "developer" or "cancel" so I think that is similar to clicking save in P/D so that doesn't work automatically. I haven't messed around with Publisher much but I would guess that you need to be on the page you want to edit or select the page you want to edit before click the "edit in" button. Somehow it has to know what you want to edit before it sends you there. I don't think you would want to send an entire book to P/D you would want to just edit one Photo or Illustration from that app and then move back.

2 minutes ago, KipV said:

you would want to just edit one Photo or Illustration from that app and then move back.

That's a very plausible scenario but we will just to wait and see ( @walt.farrell ).

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

12 minutes ago, KipV said:

Even when you work with a persona you still need to click "developer" or "cancel" so I think that is similar to clicking save in P/D so that doesn't work automatically. I haven't messed around with Publisher much but I would guess that you need to be on the page you want to edit or select the page you want to edit before click the "edit in" button. Somehow it has to know what you want to edit before it sends you there. I don't think you would want to send an entire book to P/D you would want to just edit one Photo or Illustration from that app and then move back.

i've actually started a new topic on that, you can find it here :
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/74938-edit-with-my-suggestion-for-the-affinity-range/&do=findComment&comment=390644 

Maybe it's the right place for us to share about that, just before the Admins splits this talks or simply tell us this is an OT.
Hope to see you there with as much inputs as you can so we can get the Dev's attention on that precious thing.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I still have the problem that I found in .192 - I have a file that I've been working on and if I attempt to open it in 206 I have the same experience as I had in 192 - the application immediately crashes into oblivion.

This is the start of the crash dump (full dump is attached)

Process:               Affinity Publisher Beta [27111]
Path:                  /Applications/Affinity Publisher Beta.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Publisher Beta
Identifier:            com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.beta
Version:               1.7.0 (1.7.0.206)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Affinity Publisher Beta [27111]
User ID:               502

Date/Time:             2018-12-13 23:20:59.902 +0000
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.1 (18B75)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     3.1 (16P1065)
Anonymous UUID:        50C13EB4-078E-D6AE-5478-2472589AD615

Sleep/Wake UUID:       A2066777-9BD1-409E-AA3E-0CEDEEB66649

Time Awake Since Boot: 880000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       1200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        22  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fef24364fb0
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [27111]

affinity publisher crash dump.txt

1 hour ago, KipV said:

Even when you work with a persona you still need to click "developer" or "cancel" so I think that is similar to clicking save in P/D so that doesn't work automatically.

When you're in Designer, and switch from the Vector persona to the Pixel persona you can do some editing and simply switch back. Same when you switch to the Export persona.

It's true that when in Photo, if you switch to the Liquify, Develop, or Tone Map personas you need to click another button (Apply/Develop, or Cancel) to get back to the Photo persona, but that's simply a characteristic of those 3 personas, not of the persona implementation in general.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, KipV said:

have to wonder if the people who said they prefer the old icon have noticed that

Instead of an inferior oversized flat square icon there is now an inferior more acceptably sized slightly less flat square icon.

5 steps forward after 100 steps back.

EDIT: for what it may be worthless, it's not that the new icons are horrible (and this really is at least a small improvement), but the old ones were so great that it feels like a huge step backwards.  The new icons are a victim of the expectations set by the old ones.

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

simply a characteristic of those 3 personas, not of the persona implementation in general

Agreed, and for the most part it makes sense, though I do sometimes find that difference in behavior a bit jarring when they are all presented as being the same type of thing but behave so differently in that regard.

Understandable and not really a huge deal, but still something that can throw someone until they get used to it.

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Instead of an inferior oversized flat square icon there is now an inferior more acceptably sized slightly less flat square icon.

5 steps forward after 100 steps back.

I didn't even notice a difference between the icons for .192 and .206.

-- Walt
PC:

I think the new icons are a big step forward from the Adobe icons where they just slap two letters on a square and that is the only design decision they rely on for a decade. For the people who like the triangles they had several years of that design they were able to look at. We know for icons and logos abstraction is king. They are designs that need to scale down and still work, zooming into a part of the icon helps achieve this. The 3D effect is the icing on top.

Let's wait for the availability via auto-update then, since personally I prefer and like the size compact and quicker installation of the diff/patch like update mechanism.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
7 hours ago, Alex White said:

I still have the problem that I found in .192 - I have a file that I've been working on and if I attempt to open it in 206 I have the same experience as I had in 192 - the application immediately crashes into oblivion.

Hi Alex White,

Ideally we need the actual file. If it’s sensitive, or large, we can arrange a secure upload. Please start a new thread if you would like to continue this.